Jun 4, 2005
In order to pass the physical part of the armed forces test, I have to be able to do a bunch of stuff, including ~19 situps. The way it's explained in the little information booklet I have is that you lay flat on your back, feet flat on the ground and legs bent at a 90* angle. Then you put your hands behind/beside your head and curl up and touch your elbows to your knees.

Now...how is a situp supposed to be done? I mean, without having something to hold my feet down, I can't really do them without my feet coming up a bit (which I assume is bad). Is this just something I have to practice doing, or am I supposed to have something holding my feet down?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
You have someone hold your feet down. That's how they do it in the military. I use my couch.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: LoKe
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
You have someone hold your feet down. That's how they do it in the military. I use my couch.

If that's the case then I can do them no problem.

i should hope so. 19 situps is nothing. Even I can do that!

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Josh123
Use your abs dude, thats what builds your muscle lol.

the problem is leverage man. IF you have ever done what the OP is referring to you will know that without any force on your feet your abs wont have anything to push against and you feet will just raise into the air instead of your body. You either have to have something holding you down or raise your legs in the air when doing crunches.

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
Originally posted by: BrownTown
the problem is leverage man. IF you have ever done what the OP is referring to you will know that without any force on your feet your abs wont have anything to push against and you feet will just raise into the air instead of your body. You either have to have something holding you down or raise your legs in the air when doing crunches.

Weird, just laid on my floor and did 3 situps without my feet leaving the floor. Although, in practice I prefer having my legs suspended in the air and doing crunches that way.

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002

I guess having something to hold your legs down would be easier. Just lock your feet under a dresser or something along those lines.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

once you work on it, you can do sit-ups without your feet leaving the ground and no force holding them down. it's what is called practice.
when you use a force, you are not using only your abs but also the hip flexors. That is why we are advised not to put everything we got into the sit-up portion of our PT test, so we still have the strength in the hip flexors for the run.
we also , outside of the PT test, do sit-ups with and without someone to hold our feet. It all depends on how they feel like killing us that day. :)