Sister needs a new laptop

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Sister's laptop died and she needs a new one. I'm pretty set on the T61, but does anyone know what is going on with the screen format. I know they released the widescreen format first, thus pissing a lot of people off, but now that you can get a standard 4:3 version, I've been unable to find any articles or pictures on it.

I have a T60 and know several students at my school with T61s, and they're absolutely massive, both in weight and size, which is unacceptable for her.

So does anyone know if the 4:3 version is actually a 4:3 laptop similar to a normal T60, or is it just the widescreen T61 with a 4:3 screen crammed into it (aka with the 1" in side bars by the keyboard). I know it's a stupid question, but I have found absolutely no information on this. Even Lenovo's website only has pictures of the widescreen version, and I have been unable to find any dimensions.

BHeemsoth

Platinum Member
Jul 30, 2002
I work as an IBM technician for my college, which deploys T60's and T61's to every student.

That being said, the T60 is a much better choice. When I saw that students this year would be receiving T61's, I was somewhat jealous. However, after seeing just how big they were, I was glad that I was issued a T60. Both units have the IBM (now Lenovo) reliability that we have all come to expect (if anything the T61 build quality is better than the T60).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.