Sister-in-law's father passed away... from covid.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I found out late. He passed away in December.

What should wife and I get them? We'd like to send them something asap.

It's too late for flowers. Perhaps gifts for their kids? Wifey says cash because funerals are expensive and cash is an Asian thing? (white ppl don't give cash?).

They're pretty Americanized though, like me.

Please help. I legitimately don't know what to get.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
We're giving presents when someone dies now?
I dunno, some free delivered meals or cleaning service or something like that, something that lifts some of the burden of regular day-to-day life maybe?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
We're giving presents when someone dies now?
I dunno, some free delivered meals or cleaning service or something like that, something that lifts some of the burden of regular day-to-day life maybe?
I found out late. It's too late for flowers.

I'm thinking cash. Funeral's facking expensive.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
nobody i know has ever given something other than a wreath or flowers at a funeral

if you can't make it to the funeral, i don't think it's seen as a bad thing if you don't send anything

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Flowers are still appropriate, IMO. Flowers or food are the only two real choices when someone dies.

If someone gave me cash because a family member died, I'd be like, "uhh... wtf is wrong with you?"

Reactions: brianmanahan

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
If you don't want to do flowers what about something like a memorial plaque or a memorial wind chime? We carry several options of both at my store and people who are "looking for something different" always gravitate toward either of those two options.

Here's a couple examples of the products we sell. Usually a good florist or garden center will have a nice selection of one or both that they can deliver to the appropriate place. Anyway, just an idea that might be a little different.....

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'd do flowers, never really too late. Cash seems kinda odd for a funeral. A wedding maybe but not a funeral. No amount of money can replace the loss so it's like "here's $100 to feel better". I don't know it just feels cold, but that's just me. Maybe things are different in the states.

Reactions: Zeze

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Flowers are still appropriate, IMO. Flowers or food are the only two real choices when someone dies.

If someone gave me cash because a family member died, I'd be like, "uhh... wtf is wrong with you?"

Asians are practical.

Nov 8, 2012
I would say cash, but man.... it feels weird giving cash to a son/daughter when their father died. I've never heard of such unless you're directly someone that helped organizing the funeral... But maybe I'm just inexperienced here.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I would say cash, but man.... it feels weird giving cash to a son/daughter when their father died. I've never heard of such unless you're directly someone that helped organizing the funeral... But maybe I'm just inexperienced here.
No, giving cash to someone who lost a loved one is weird. I mean maybe it's an Asian thing like some other guys have mentioned but to me as a white guy it just seems weird.....I gave some alternatives if Zeze doesn't want to do flowers or cash but hey if giving cash is a thing and acceptable I guess go for it.....

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
We were given some $$$ from close relatives when my Mom passed away 7 years ago this coming Monday. Not much, but it was a nice gesture. Did a quick mental math myself when we were dealing with the funeral place for all the expenses.. I said $12500 to a sister before everything was calculated. I was off by $10.

South East Asian (Filipino) here. Not sure what to give to a greaving family at this point.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

• Wow
Reactions: Fenixgoon

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Cash is probably good unless they are the type of people who would be offended by it.