Sister in law is up to no good on AIM. I need to log her chat sessions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
And how do you know she stays up late and chats all night? 'Cause you're stalking her while fapping to free pr0n?

promposive

Jun 15, 2004
If on your network you are using a hub, or can install one, then just use a packet sniffer and record the traffic going from/to her computer. Use Etherreal, and set up filters for aim. Just can't do this if you are using a switch (go buy a cheapie hub and replace the switch temporarily)

pinion9

Banned
May 5, 2005
Originally posted by: mcvickj
So it is against the law to chat to other people online? Sounds like a giant fishing expedition to me.

NO. It is not illegal. However, if you find out passwords, that is technically illegal. If I tell you my password, then you have technically commited a crime because you now possess my password. Technical != practical.

If you have any reason to suspect she is doing something wrong, log it. If you walk into a room and she minimizes windows, then do it.

Ulfhednar

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2006
Originally posted by: pinion9
So it is against the law to chat to other people online? Sounds like a giant fishing expedition to me.
NO. It is not illegal. However, if you find out passwords, that is technically illegal. If I tell you my password, then you have technically commited a crime because you now possess my password. Technical != practical.

If you have any reason to suspect she is doing something wrong, log it. If you walk into a room and she minimizes windows, then do it.
Haha, ATOT gives the best bullsh!t advice ever at times.

Being given account details with consent is not a crime, appropriating them through some sort of application like a keylogger is one of the worst computer crimes there is.

See the difference between something that is not unlawful and something that is illegal yet?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

no, if you tell me your password for no reason, you're a dumbass, but i haven't done anything wrong.

pray4mojo

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2003
i dont see a problem with staying up late and chatting on aim. a lot of people do it.

Ulfhednar

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2006
Originally posted by: pontifex
no, if you tell me your password for no reason, you're a dumbass, but i haven't done anything wrong.
I couldn't have said it better myself, I really couldn't.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

hahahah WRONG.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

I minimize windows regardless of what I'm talking about. My conversations are private, period.

Ulfhednar

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2006
Originally posted by: TallBill
I minimize windows regardless of what I'm talking about. My conversations are private, period.
This is another good point. Some people here obviously have no concept of privacy or personal space, and think it's okay to become suspicious to the point of obsessive paranoia.

I mean, for God's sake, this guy is asking strangers on the internet how to spy on family. I would say it's him who needs his sh!t watching.

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
dead aim is the way to go

make sure the aim login logo isnt changed to the deadaim logo :)

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Tell your bro to mow his lawn more regularly, maybe she won't have need for the late night lawn boy:)

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
i just hope he knows that this can turn bad. if his brother (or sister) does not know what he is doing.

also i would like to know the reason he wants to spy on her.

Ulfhednar

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2006
I just hope he comes to realise what a stupid dumbarse he is before he goes ahead with this and makes a lot of trouble for himself. If I were his brother he would get a serious arse-kicking.

pinion9

Banned
May 5, 2005
Originally posted by: waggy

hahahah WRONG.

You going to back it up? Are you an expert in computer security and information assurance?

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Go get 'em tiger!

If he/she is married, why would they be up all night chatting with someone? I think you all have your brains screwed on wrong. :)

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

hahahah WRONG.

You going to back it up? Are you an expert in computer security and information assurance?

it is NOT against the law for me to give you my password. NEVER HAS BEEN.

now if you steal my password then yes you have commited a crime.

JonTheBaller

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2002

hahahah WRONG.

I think he's an expert in not being a fvcking moron, unlike you.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: BAMAVOO
Go get 'em tiger!

If he/she is married, why would they be up all night chatting with someone? I think you all have your brains screwed on wrong. :)

I'm married and i am up chatting with people. I have friends that live all over the US and world. I prefer to use the computer then the phone.

pinion9

Banned
May 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Ulfhednar
Haha, ATOT gives the best bullsh!t advice ever at times.

Being given account details with consent is not a crime, appropriating them through some sort of application like a keylogger is one of the worst computer crimes there is.

See the difference between something that is not unlawful and something that is illegal yet?

FACT: Possesing someone elses password is a crime.
However, it is the intent and actions that get you into prison.

Like I said before, he can keylog all he wants, but as soon as account information, passwords/phrases/pins, or any personal identifiable, sensitive information is logged, it is now a felony.

Do you see the difference between someone who is educated on the subject and yourself?