Sirius Radio Question - Cancelling

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I've decided to cancel my Sirius subscription. My question is, can I give my used 2nd radio to my father in law, so he can activate it on a new account?

Exodist

Dec 1, 2009
I thought Sirius was shutting down cause of the economy?

Answer to OP.. Yea sure..

Tea Bag

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2004
I don't know if they're still shutting down since they 'merged' with XM, but after the subscription expired on our car they've been calling my cellphone daily.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Why would Sirius shut down? They have the best radio program on the planet. Sirius/XM is not going away...unless they are stupid enough to let Howard Stern retire.

I've been a subscriber for years. Honestly though, Howard Stern was the reason I subscribed and his show is the main reason I continue to pay the annual fee.

I do like some of their other programming though.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Why would Sirius shut down? They have the best radio program on the planet. Sirius/XM is not going away...unless they are stupid enough to let Howard Stern retire.

I've been a subscriber for years. Honestly though, Howard Stern was the reason I subscribed and his show is the main reason I continue to pay the annual fee.

I do like some of their other programming though.

Same here, except I joined for Bubba The Love Sponge.

As long as Howard and Bubba are on, they have my money.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
I was going to cancel, but then they offered me 5 months for $20 including the BS royalties fee now.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
I just let my 3-month trial lapse (new car), since I really only had a few channels I listened to, and really didn't think they were worth what they ask for their subscription service.

My brother in law was telling me that when his was going to lapse, he was talking to them on the phone, and the CSR told him that they had a 5-year plan for (he thought it was) $300-some dollars. He basically asked them what a lifetime plan was, and said it wasn't much more than the 5-year plan, so he bought it.

Of course, with a car stereo, it's really only good for as long as you're car is on the road........

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
It's still active in my company vehicle but I won't renew it. Last I checked, it was over $17/month for a decent package. No thanks.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
I have it and wouldn't consider going without it. I drive a lot of highway and it's made the driving so much easier.

That said, the second I don't have to drive as much as I do now I'll drop it. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that drives less than 10k miles a year, it's just not worth it.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
It's still active in my company vehicle but I won't renew it. Last I checked, it was over $17/month for a decent package. No thanks.

If you don't want Howard Stern I believe you can do a la cart pricing and pick 50 stations for about $9/month. The normal package with everything is about $15/month

Not likely I'll get rid of it. After my old radio breaking and having to deal with the regular radio for a while, it was torture. And using only an mp3 player is repetitive and gets boring unless you're adding new stuff and sorting stuff all the time which is a pain also

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
I've been wanting to get this.... the amount of hours I drive for work is rediculous, probably only outstripped by truck drivers and traveling salesmen

Poulsonator

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2002
I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that drives less than 10k miles a year, it's just not worth it.

I drive less than that I can't recommend satellite radio highly enough. I have a lifetime subscription to XM, and don't ever want to go back to terrestrial radio.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
I drive less than that I can't recommend satellite radio highly enough. I have a lifetime subscription to XM, and don't ever want to go back to terrestrial radio.

It depends where you live. Where I live the radio station (not plural) is abhorrent so satellite is a must. If I lived where I come from, there's 3 awesome stations that compete hard, so satellite is pretty useless.

Poulsonator

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2002
It depends where you live. Where I live the radio station (not plural) is abhorrent so satellite is a must. If I lived where I come from, there's 3 awesome stations that compete hard, so satellite is pretty useless.

I have yet to find a terrestrial station I like more than what I can find on XM. No matter where I've been or what is recommended.

That being said, the main reason I got XM years ago wasn't for music anyway (that was just a sweet bonus)...it was for sports talk, specifically for Major League Baseball. There's nothing anywhere that comes close to what XM offers, so for me, it's a no-brainer.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
If you don't want Howard Stern I believe you can do a la cart pricing and pick 50 stations for about $9/month. The normal package with everything is about $15/month

Not likely I'll get rid of it. After my old radio breaking and having to deal with the regular radio for a while, it was torture. And using only an mp3 player is repetitive and gets boring unless you're adding new stuff and sorting stuff all the time which is a pain also

$9/month is still too high IMHO. The content on satellite isn't any better than my local stations.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I used to have Sirius and canceled - I have yet to find anything that beats $14.99/mo for a Zunepass subscription.

SeaSerpent

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2001
I was wondring if they make a XM thing I could hook up to a home stero at work. I use it 10 hours a day and I think it might be cool to add some content.