Sir David Jason apologizes for joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCE10

Sep 15, 2003
He replied: "What do you call a Pakistani cloakroom attendant?", adding the punchline: "Ma-hat-ma coat."
~ Telegraph

I was reading the news, and I didn't understand this joke. It's been bothering me. Can anyone explain?

Sorry, I'm stupid!

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: JCE10
He replied: "What do you call a Pakistani cloakroom attendant?", adding the punchline: "Ma-hat-ma coat."
~ Telegraph

I was reading the news, and I didn't understand this joke. It's been bothering me. Can anyone explain?

Sorry, I'm stupid!

I would guess it's a pun on the name Mahatma as in Mahatma Ghandi?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Craig234
~ Telegraph

Sorry, I'm stupid!

Exactly, the famous Pakistani leader who got the British out of Pakistan.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
~ Telegraph

Sorry, I'm stupid!

:D

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
~ Telegraph

Sorry, I'm stupid!

Well, I had no idea if the name existed in Pakistan, but figured that if it didn't, that wouldn't preclude some ignorant westerners from making joikes based on a wrong assumption.

For what it's worth, 'Mahatma' was a title given to respect Ghandi, but it also a rare boy's name somewhere. My wild guess remains my wild guess.

I have no idea why someone would link it to Pakistan specifically outside of that wild guess that jokes sometimes do things like that.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
~ Telegraph

Sorry, I'm stupid!

My hat, my coat.

I'm assuming that's what they'd tell the attendant.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
~ Telegraph

Sorry, I'm stupid!

Well, I had no idea if the name existed in Pakistan, but figured that if it didn't, that wouldn't preclude some ignorant westerners from making joikes based on a wrong assumption.

For what it's worth, 'Mahatma' was a title given to respect Ghandi, but it also a rare boy's name somewhere. My wild guess remains my wild guess.

I have no idea why someone would link it to Pakistan specifically outside of that wild guess that jokes sometimes do things like that.

Mahatma is Sanskrit for "great soul".

You're right,

The joke would have worked better (not by much) prior to 1956, when Pakistan was still part of India. Although many in Pakistan know Sanskrit, it is mainly a ceremonial language used by Hindus.

Jun 26, 2007
~ Telegraph

Sorry, I'm stupid!

*shakes head*

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
~ Telegraph

Sorry, I'm stupid!

*shakes head*

hehe

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It was an attempt at a Joke. I think you'd have to spend all day at the Pub before it got funny.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
~ Telegraph

Sorry, I'm stupid!

NAAAH! It's making fun of the upper class mumbling lisp so affected in London high society.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: sandorski
It was an attempt at a Joke. I think you'd have to spend all day at the Pub before it got funny.

It's an extremely old joke originally made by W. C. Fields who credited a book to 'Mahatma Kane Jeeves' as in 'my hat and my cane Jeeves!'... it's very 19th century...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Atheus
Originally posted by: sandorski

It's an extremely old joke originally made by W. C. Fields who credited a book to 'Mahatma Kane Jeeves' as in 'my hat and my cane Jeeves!'... it's very 19th century...

hehe, ok, that gave me a chuckle.

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: feralkid
~ Telegraph

Sorry, I'm stupid!

Mahatma is Sanskrit for "great soul".

You're right,

The joke would have worked better (not by much) prior to 1956, when Pakistan was still part of India. Although many in Pakistan know Sanskrit, it is mainly a ceremonial language used by Hindus.

That would be 1947, not 56.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
~ Telegraph

Sorry, I'm stupid!

It`s another smoking gun ...sort of like the way Dari thinks.,.....

Status
Not open for further replies.