Sins of a Solar Empire: I suck! :)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
stardock runs their own competitor to steam called impulse. it's on impulse.

Yea, but no ....
I don't want yet another account to keep track of and maintain..... I'll go steam or I'll just order from amazon...

Obsy

Apr 28, 2009
Yeah, and I believe you need Impulse to patch to the latest version, so you're probably gonna install Impulse anyway. If you get the physical copy, you'll still be able to download the game from Impulse with your account, so it wouldn't hurt to get the box just to have it. Whichever's more convenient/cheaper :)

i find the game most enjoyable in the early stages, and towards the end i'm thinking "come on. just end this."
This, lol. I play against the AI, and after a few hours, I get off the comp to do something else. When I get back, I start a new game for that fresh feeling. It's just way too tedious to jump from planet to planet and clear everything. I've played with other people online before too (2 years ago?), but people start lagging it up when everyone's expanded and building large fleets. I tend to play 8 player or larger games though, so that might often be why I never finish a game/the mutiplayer gets real laggy :D

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Well, I'll probably eat my words eventually, and just use impulse than.... eventually, I might even admit to it :)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Well, I'll probably eat my words eventually, and just use impulse than.... eventually, I might even admit to it :)

I gnerally feel this way, too. But I did pull the trigger on Impulse, b/c it's the only downloadable way to get Stardock's awesome, awesome games.

They are probably my favorite developer out their right now, simply b/c they are really serious about their games. I have no issues with supporting Impulse. My only gripe is that I'll get the occasional popup on my desktop regarding some sale, even if it is turned off. I suppose I could find some way to turn this off, maybe, but it isn't really a hassle. :\

Oct 30, 2004
I should pick it up, its on steam nowadays, aye?

I'm afraid it will never be on STEAM because Stardock owns its own STEAM-like service called Impulse. I thinks someone from Stardock once said something to the effect that Sins will be on STEAM when Valve allows its games to sell on Impulse.

Oct 30, 2004
Is Sins worthwhile for the SP?

A great many Sins fans think so, but do note that it's a sandbox type of game like the earlier Civilization games and Alpha Centauri and that it doesn't have a campaign. It has a thriving mod community and mods are almost exclusively for single player games (that and friends who play with one another).

Oct 30, 2004

Impulse is very benign. You don't need to run it in order to play Sins, online or offline. The only time I ever load it up is when I want to install a patch. In exchange for having to get Impulse, Sins is 100% DRM free. The DRM is that you need Impulse and a CD-key in order to patch it and to play online multiplayer.

Last edited:

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I've tried Sins twice over the past year and didn't stick with it. I'm going to give the demo another run and hopefully the third time will be the charm because I absolutely love space games.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I've tried Sins twice over the past year and didn't stick with it. I'm going to give the demo another run and hopefully the third time will be the charm because I absolutely love space games.

it took me FIVE attempts!

good luck.

:D

Obsy

Apr 28, 2009
You know this game has matches that last a while when it has a save button for multiplayer :D

Just logged onto Ironclad Online, and it's pretty depressing to see only one other person in the lobby room :( Anyone up for some games? :D

And I only just found out about the expansion, Rebellion. Factions and Titan-class ships, mmmh :) I've always wanted a gigantic starship that's upgradeable like the starbases in Entrenchment.
http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/?aid=405917

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
My only gripe is that I'll get the occasional popup on my desktop regarding some sale, even if it is turned off. I suppose I could find some way to turn this off, maybe, but it isn't really a hassle. :\

That thing popped up multiple times per day for me. It's easy to disable though; just right click the tray icon, go to settings, and uncheck promotions and notifications.

To anyone just starting the game, just remember to colonize quickly and upgrade the infrastructure of your planets ASAP so as not to lose money. Place the bulk of your fleet somewhere that can get to other worlds quickly, and leave minimal amounts of defenses/forces at your outer worlds to "hold the line" until your main forces can get there. Research sparingly, and take the first and second level tiers first; they are cheap and powerful. Learn to retreat when things aren't going your way. Do these things and you'll have an easier first playthrough than I did. :p

Utilize the pause button as well, at least until you've got a good knowledge of every aspect of the game.

Oct 30, 2004
Just logged onto Ironclad Online, and it's pretty depressing to see only one other person in the lobby room :( Anyone up for some games?

Yeah, the player counts are sadly low which is too bad because it's a great and very overlooked game for online multiplayer. Fortunately you can still find 4v4 and 5v5 games on the Diplomacy expansion during the European and North American evenings but you'll probably have to wait for them. The weekends are the best times to play. Do note that those 4v4 and 5v5 games only take about 1.5 hours to play on average. Hopefully Rebellion, being a stand-alone game, will revitalize online multiplayer.

Oct 30, 2004
That thing popped up multiple times per day for me. It's easy to disable though; just right click the tray icon, go to settings, and uncheck promotions and notifications.

You can also set Impulse so that it won't load when you boot your computer. That way you only need to run it when you when new patches are released.

Oct 30, 2004
I just posted a new replay of a5v5 I played half-an-hour ago. This one is a heavy-duty pro game with at least two elite players in it (both of whom, interestingly, lost their home worlds). I was in the game as Absolute Zer0.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20323501/Good+5v5+pro+game.zip

As always, you need to move the file into your Sins Application Data folders "Multiplayer-Record" folder and you need the current version of the Diplomacy expansion (v1.2) to watch it.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2004
I just watched the replay, so here's my recap. The teams were:

-- Absolute Zer0 -- (me), [DT]Tyr222 (an elite player), OurTerra.com, [_]-Hiroge, and Dark Eyed Junco

----- vs. -----

[_]-Greyfox (an elite player, I think), Varona, Black Sword Command, and two smurfs using the exact same name, |1st| FAGOLAS ELF (a mockery of a player named |1st| LEGOLAS ELF).

This is a good game to watch and learn from because all of these guys are heavy-duty pros. Team captains for the player draft were [DT]Tyr222 and one of the Elf smurfs.

I think the primary deciding factor was when OurTerra knocked out Greyfox early in the game, allowing OurTerra to build an economy. Other notable events were the early-game survival of Hiroge (with help from my starbases), suicide spot Tyr's loss of home world (to one of the Elfs) and subsequent migration, and the huge battles fought in the area between Dark Eyed Junco and Black Sword Command, which involved 6 or 7 of the ten players.

The game ended when Varona's game crashed ("minidumped"), but if you look at the stats, it was pretty much over anyway since the Tyr team led by 36 planets to 24 and had a credit lead of 486 to 195 (with my end-of-game income of 211 credits/second beating that of the entire Elf-Greyfox team). Metal income was 37 (Team Tyr) to 25 (Team Elf) and crystal was 21 (Team Tyr) to 17 (Team Elf).

Last edited:

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Sins is a fun game but I got bored of it really quickly as all the races are nearly identical save for the capital ships. when I noticed each race's ships have the exact same roles I was a bit let down, but it's still a fun spacer.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
i find the game most enjoyable in the early stages, and towards the end i'm thinking "come on. just end this."

yeah, this big time. Also, I find the fact that the AI ALWAYS hits one of my planets at the exact second I attack somewhere else with my main fleet extremely annoying. Be more obvious you can see exactly what i'm doing...