Sins of a Solar Empire - (4X/RTS) Anyone looking forward to this game?

Izzo

May 30, 2003
Sins of a Solar Empire

Has anyone been following this game? Any beta testers want to share their experiences? Will it help me recapture the fun and enjoyment from playing Master of Orion I and II? How will the RTS aspect of it turn out? Did they make a mistake by confining the game to 3 unique races with their own technologies instead of many races that are very similar, but with defining gameplay characteristics (a la MOO or Civ)?

So many questions, but only time will tell.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
I am very much looking froward to this game, it has pritty much everything i want in a space empire game.

One of the things in the game that got people all upset was the "2D" space battles, as in you can not maneuver your fleets along the Z axis (up and down). Having played the Homeworld games, i do not see this as much of a problem (online is another matter).

One thing that I do not like is that orbital bombardment is the only way to take over planets. It may only be a game but i don't like the idea of murdering millions of men, woman and children. I haven't checked up on it, but i hope they put in another method to take over planets.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Originally posted by: ZzZGuy
I am very much looking froward to this game, it has pritty much everything i want in a space empire game.

One of the things in the game that got people all upset was the "2D" space battles, as in you can not maneuver your fleets along the Z axis (up and down). Having played the Homeworld games, i do not see this as much of a problem (online is another matter).

One thing that I do not like is that orbital bombardment is the only way to take over planets. It may only be a game but i don't like the idea of murdering millions of men, woman and children. I haven't checked up on it, but i hope they put in another method to take over planets.

Like global release of nerve agent? :p

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I am looking forward to Sins, though I only follow it with 1/4 of an eye at the moment.

maxster

Banned
Sep 19, 2007

Mind Control BEAM???? LOL

Apathetic

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Can you design your own ships in this game? Or is everything pre-defined and you just make minor tweaks to them?

Dave

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I am very much looking forward to this, we havent had much over the years.
Galactic Civiliations 2 was good but it didnt keep me coming back like Moo2 and IG2.

Izzo

May 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Apathetic
Can you design your own ships in this game? Or is everything pre-defined and you just make minor tweaks to them?

Dave

Doesn't look like you can design your ships. It looks like there are experience points and upgrades you can purchase for the ships though.

elmer92413

Oct 23, 2004
I've still got some many other games that I need to play. But this one is definitely on my list of games to get. Although I will wait for at least the first expansion pack before I get it. I'll have plenty to do until then.

Apathetic

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Izzo
Originally posted by: Apathetic

Dave

Doesn't look like you can design your ships. It looks like there are experience points and upgrades you can purchase for the ships though.

Nuts. I really like it when you can design your own ships. It just adds an exrta level of customization and depth that I really like.

Dave

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Originally posted by: JTsyo

Like global release of nerve agent? :p

Errr, i was thinking perhaps:
1- You sabotage/destroy all their defenses and they surrender.
2- Massive show of force (and a random "courage meter").
3- Get a pro-you revolt going.
4- Offer then a place in your empire with enough incentives.

That sort of thing, but I still want the option to whip all life off the face of the planet because I know at some point i'm going to want to do it.

maxster

Banned
Sep 19, 2007
I get a feeling that this game plays a lot like Warcraft 3. . .

Must wait to see if they can really make the individual races unique.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Izzo
Sins of a Solar Empire

Has anyone been following this game? Any beta testers want to share their experiences? Will it help me recapture the fun and enjoyment from playing Master of Orion I and II? How will the RTS aspect of it turn out? Did they make a mistake by confining the game to 3 unique races with their own technologies instead of many races that are very similar, but with defining gameplay characteristics (a la MOO or Civ)?

So many questions, but only time will tell.

From what I've heard about it, 4X game it is not. You're better off looking at the galactic civilizations series for that, in fact the lastest expansion pack to gal civ 2 is coming out soon. Twilight of the arnor, and the features there are just about rivaling MOO2 in terms of creativity and unpredictability.

MOO2 is still one of the best though, unfortunately. Get Dosbox, get the latest unofficial patch (I think v1.42 or something like that), and go play it online.

Sins is apparently mostly RTS with some added diplomacy options.