Single Thread Versus Multi-thread Performance

ddpaulb

May 2, 2014
Which is better, single thread or multi-thread performance?

I have no preference to either AMD or Intel.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

I have no preference to either AMD or Intel.

It depends on what you're planning on doing with the system. Most people seem to agree that a lower number of high IPC cores trumps a higher number of low IPC cores. But it's really not that simple, it depends on what the system will be used for.

ddpaulb

May 2, 2014
It depends on what you're planning on doing with the system. Most people seem to agree that a lower number of high IPC cores trumps a higher number of low IPC cores. But it's really not that simple, it depends on what the system will be used for.

What is IPC?

Usage: audio production and gaming.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
IPC = instructions per clock. Think of it like this, CPU A does x amount of work each clock cycle, CPU B does 1.3x per clock cycle. If both run at say, the same 3.5GHz speed, CPU B gets more work done. But if CPU A has six cores and CPU B has two cores, depending on the software used things could change. What software are you using for audio production?

What's your budget? Are you building your own system, getting a laptop, buying a pre-built desktop? What kind of budget are you working with?

ddpaulb

May 2, 2014
IPC = instructions per clock. Think of it like this, CPU A does x amount of work each clock cycle, CPU B does 1.3x per clock cycle. If both run at say, the same 3.5GHz speed, CPU B gets more work done. But if CPU A has six cores and CPU B has two cores, depending on the software used things could change. What software are you using for audio production?

What's your budget? Are you building your own system, getting a laptop, buying a pre-built desktop? What kind of budget are you working with?

$250 for cpu and ATX mobo. Building my own.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Single thread (Intel = fewer but much faster cores) = more predictable consistent high performance across a wide range of apps & games. Multi-thread (AMD = more but much slower cores) = theoretically better for a very few number of apps that are perfectly threaded (eg, video editing) but pot luck for gaming. Games are often inconsistent from one to another with multi-threading, eg, in one game an 8-core FX-8350 could match a 4-core i5, whilst 5 minutes later get simultaneously thrashed by an 2-core i3 in a different game.

Intel's also draw 50-100w less power under load, which may be a highly significant factor if you're building a silent rig (for audio work). Given your mixed needs, if you can afford it get an i5 as fps are consistently high over a spread of thousands of games and not just 6 recent ones. For audio work, you might also consider other factors like more RAM (eg, 16GB vs 8GB when opening multiple large files) and / or using an SSD as a "scratch disk". It depends on how heavy your audio needs are though.

ddpaulb

May 2, 2014
Single thread (Intel = fewer but much faster cores) = more predictable consistent high performance across a wide range of apps & games. Multi-thread (AMD = more but much slower cores) = theoretically better for a very few number of apps that are perfectly threaded (eg, video editing) but pot luck for gaming. Games are often inconsistent from one to another with multi-threading, eg, in one game an 8-core FX-8350 could match a 4-core i5, whilst 5 minutes later get simultaneously thrashed by an 2-core i3 in a different game.

Intel's also draw 50-100w less power under load, which may be a highly significant factor if you're building a silent rig (for audio work). Given your mixed needs, if you can afford it get an i5 as fps are consistently high over a spread of thousands of games and not just 6 recent ones. For audio work, you might also consider other factors like more RAM (eg, 16GB vs 8GB when opening multiple large files) and / or using an SSD as a "scratch disk". It depends on how heavy your audio needs are though.

I have an older i5-2400. Would an SSD and 16GB ram be more beneficial than a new CPU?

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
While i5-2400 is "older" then you're not going to get a faster CPU+mboard for $250.

I would definitely buy a SSD before upgrading your CPU + mboard. Try looking at your task manager, when your system feels slow.

A rough estimate:
If you memory use is close to max, then more memory will help. If CPU is loaded 100% a faster CPU will help, if you see lots of disk activity a SSD + memory will help.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
An i5-2400 is still a fantastic CPU. CPUs have barely improved in the last 3 years.

What graphics card do you have? A GPU upgrade would probably make more difference to gaming (though not audio work).

SAAA

May 14, 2014
Usage: audio production and gaming.

Gaming = new GPU, an i5 2400 has enough performance for any single one now, audio production depends on the program. But for 250$ I'm not sure what CPU+mobo you can look for, a sidegrade at most?

ddpaulb

May 2, 2014
An i5-2400 is still a fantastic CPU. CPUs have barely improved in the last 3 years.

What graphics card do you have? A GPU upgrade would probably make more difference to gaming (though not audio work).

Graphics Card: XFX Radeon HD6850 Double Density

ddpaulb

May 2, 2014
Gaming = new GPU, an i5 2400 has enough performance for any single one now, audio production depends on the program. But for 250$ I'm not sure what CPU+mobo you can look for, a sidegrade at most?

Sidegrade. That's a good word for it. Makes sense. No sidegrade for me then.

ddpaulb

May 2, 2014
Plenty of room for upgrade there! You could get something like a 7970, and see significant gaming improvement.

There have been a lot of advancements in graphics cards the last three years? As far as games I like Total War Empire, Civilization, and Railworks which never works very well for me.