Single slot gtx 470 **confirmed** and gtx 480 to come

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
Is it a good feat IF they manage to keep temps and power at bay ? Of course it is! I buy my cards based on performance/temps. The temps are high, and the performance doesn't justify the cost for me. So it is in the "no buy zone".

Funny that you use the word "color".

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Is it a good feat IF they manage to keep temps and power at bay ? Of course it is! I buy my cards based on performance/temps. The temps are high, and the performance doesn't justify the cost for me. So it is in the "no buy zone".

Funny that you use the word "color".

Thanks for your input.

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
My question is why not use this cooling technology in a dual slot design?
If it can cool a single slot, it must work wonders in dual slot configs.

See "Sapphire Vapor-X Series"

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
This is either the dumbest thing ever or the best thing since sliced bread.

OT: Wasn't Galaxy the same company that put a triple slot cooler on a GTX 470?

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
This is either the dumbest thing ever or the best thing since sliced bread.

OT: Wasn't Galaxy the same company that put a triple slot cooler on a GTX 470?
It seems like Galaxy literally have a room full of engineers specifically tasked to pump out a new cooling solution for the GTX4x0 biweekly.

Anyway, should be interesting to see how this turns out.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Well they were the first company to make the fastest high end single slot card last round with the gtx 260, I don't see why they couldn't figure out a gtx 470. It seems they are real brave thay have a gtx 480 single slot too!

Problem is that it takes 5 heatpipes to get a GTX480 to run at reasonable noise levels @ ~90+C load.

Vapor Chamber is just fancy terminology, and is essentially the same thing as what heat pipes do, but just not as good when you have the space. It works here because of confined space requirements.

These parts are going to be massively underclocked/undervolted and/or scream like a banshee when the fan ramps up.

Isn't vapor chamber technology the same thing as heat pipes?

In what way is this system different than the cooler used by the stock 470 GTX?

It really is basically the same idea as with heat pipes as they are basically flat heat pipes. Performance won't necessarily be better (although the cool marketing terminology - VAPOR TORTURE CHAMBER EXTREME AWESOMENESS COOLING - certainly tries to), but in this case its necessary for it to fit in a single slot design.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
I don't see how this could be anything less than major fail

I mean, 8800gt was what, 110w? And it's single slot designs were very loud, and very hot even with a full coverage cooler. We're talking 2-3x that much heat in the same space..

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
I would think most gamers in the market for one of these cards would be more interested in dual slot coolers that are 1) quieter and 2) keep the cards cooler than the reference designed HSF.

The enthusiast mobo's that likely will be used with these cards in SLI all are going to allow for dual slot GPU's. Even the 5770 uses a dual slot cooler. Why engineer a single slot cooler when it achieves something that doesn't matter that much to most in the market for these cards?

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'd think these will sell pretty good depending on price....But geared towards the water coolers due to single slot bracket :)

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
I'd be elated to have one of these if they run decently cool...I hate the way dual slot cards grind up on each other as if they're dancing at the club.

Good find. This info just makes my desire to wait even stronger, as my 4890 still serves me well and I'm waiting for non-reference Fermis to see what's what.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
I'd be elated to have one of these if they run decently cool...I hate the way dual slot cards grind up on each other as if they're dancing at the club.
Good find. This info just makes my desire to wait even stronger, as my 4890 still serves me well and I'm waiting for non-reference Fermis to see what's what.

I agree is scares me to see to got cards right up aginst each other.
I like to see more space to breath.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I cannot fathom how to they hope to cool a GTX470 with a single slot cooler, much less a GTX480. The fan speed must be 5000 rpm or something.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
The Vapor-X cooler is based around the fact that as you increase the temperature of water, it evaporates more rapidly, turning from a liquid into a gas. During this state transition, the water releases its latent heat into the surrounding atmosphere, thereby cooling the object from which the water is evaporating. This is why sweating cools your skin so effectively.

Heatpipes already use this ‘evaporative cooling’ phenomenon, but while heatpipes require coolant to be forced in one direction along a set path, vapour chambers allow the heat to be transferred in all directions. You could think of them as a large-diameter, flat heatpipe, with the liquid moving through the layers of the chamber, rather than travelling along a restrictive pipe.

A vapour chamber is composed of three distinct layers: the transportation wick, the vaporisation wick and the condensation wick (see the explanatory pictures by clicking on the picture above). A wick is a material that can draw in a liquid by capillary action (think of a sponge absorbing water), but other than that, the names of the layers are pretty self-explanatory. Pure water is heated while in the transportation wick, and as it turns to gas, it moves into the condensation wick. Away from the heat source, the water condenses back into a liquid and travels back to the transportation wick by way of capillary action, ready for the process to begin again.

The air pressure is lowered in a vapour chamber, as a lower air temperature lowers the boiling point of the water, making the transfer of heat more efficient.

http://www.bit-tech.net/custompc/features/602193/vapour-chamber-cooling-explained.html

See "Sapphire Vapor-X Series"

I don't think thats the same thing. I'm listening...............

MAbe it is.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/VaporX/VaporX_index.aspx?cid=2

Why no single slot cards then? Mabe they do it differently? Dunno.

Dude, when you copied and pasted the first post above, on the 17th, did you not read what X-Bit was referring to? They were talking about the Sapphire Vapor-X tech. that was being used on the OC'd 3870 card.

So, not to bust your chops or anything, but where did the "I don't think that's the same thing, I'm listening....." comment come from when MentalIllness simply referred to the Vapor-X tech, the exact same thing you linked/copied and pasted from?

As for the 470 single slot cooler.....lot of heat to dump into the case. Even if the cooler can keep the gpu cool, all the displaced heat from the cooler is being dumped into the case, which seems to really defeat the whole purpose of this exercise.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
People with a properly cooled case, with decent airflow.
I like the idea of sli without the cards so close together.
Toyota, this is obviously a specialty card.

My question is why not use this cooling technology in a dual slot design?
If it can cool a single slot, it must work wonders in dual slot configs.

thats what I want to know... would it allow a quit fan to cool a dual slot configuration?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
thats what I want to know... would it allow a quit fan to cool a dual slot configuration?
Vapor chambers only come in to play when drawing heat from a GPU. You still need to actually dissipate that heat from the card with an appropriate fan.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Vapor chambers only come in to play when drawing heat from a GPU. You still need to actually dissipate that heat from the card with an appropriate fan.

if you draw more heat faster then it would dissipate faster with the same fan, because the heat gradient between the heatsink and the air would be larger.
My question was whether it would be enough.

SHAQ

Aug 5, 2002
How can they do this when the 470 is allegedly discontinued? Or did they remove CUDA from this version to reduce power consumption to allow a single slot cooler? LOL

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
How can they do this when the 470 is allegedly discontinued? Or did they remove CUDA from this version to reduce power consumption to allow a single slot cooler? LOL

people have been saying that an nvidia card without cuda doesn't make any sense, and they are right.
this is what nvidia has been pushing, they worked so hard to build a cuda ecosystem... to remove it now would be very damaging since it will be a sign to everyone to jump ship.
furthermore, cuda is compilers that convert C, fortran and now C++ code to nvidia GPU machine code. there is nothing to "remove"... the only thing they could do is drastically change their architecture so that said code would not be compatible, but that is insanity and unthinkable.