Single Player vs Multi-Player...?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I like the single player games that offer multiplayer like gameplay.BF2, UT3 and BO1 have all given me hundreds of hours of gameplay without the frustration that can come with online gameplay while giving a nearly online experience.

Multiplayer can be fun but the single player "multiplayer" or practice modes have come in handy during moves where i have no net for a few days or when i download something that drags my ping in the toilet.Comes in handy if your a satellite user with a cap too.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
Both.

Real people offer a more dynamic and interesting challenge in multiplayer than any AI could possibly do in a singleplayer game, but singleplayer games offer sometimes masterfully crafted experiences with clever plots and reveals that multiplayer simply cannot offer.

I tend to flip flop between playing both depending on how good the games that year are, but I agree with many gamers here, the multiplayer side of things has gone to shit since the popularization of games, match making, general downhill progress of multiplayer games to not require skill and all that jazz.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
multi, and i am a convert, i used to hate it. to me single is like reading a book, multi is playing football.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Multiplayer, but these days I've downgraded to single player (or at least games with casual multiplayer elements) because of free time limitations and the fact I don't enjoy getting my ass handed to me because i can't dedicate enough practice time! I tried it, I end up losing sleep and yeah things go down hill from there :p

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Multiplayer can go die in a corner somewhere. I'd love a 20hr single player shooter (that isn't Far Cry or the new Wolfenstein) that is single player only with an actual point that actually goes somewhere and isn't a generic cliched filled story either.

EDIT: Inquisition has separate multiplayer which is pointless. If they never bothered and instead boosted the main single player by another 50 hrs, which would you prefer?

So true. They shoehorn multiplayer into single player games when we could instead get an even better SP game. Just so the game has an "online" aspect.

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
I've never gotten into MP gaming, save L4D on occasion with friends. I game to get away from people.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Which do you prefer...?

I personally prefer single player with a good story. Just gets old after a while running around and killing people so you can what...talk trash?

I like being a part of a story where I am important to what happens in the story and the goals that are accomplished...

But, there is NO wrong answer, it's whatever YOU enjoy...

I like multiplayer but 90% of the games I prefer to play in single player mode.

I vote for single player ...

jeffnc

Nov 29, 2014
I only play single player, and thus obviously appreciate games with a great story and good AI. I have played rarely online, for example to get utterly crushed by silly-good players in Age of Empires, so that wasn't even fun.

I play coop or heads up with my son (10 years old) in games such as CoD. He prefers multi-player online vastly to the campaign. He crushes me in CoD, but is only about .500 against the good players online.

(Lest you think I'm a clueless old incompetent gamer, I beat him in all the games I like - it's just what he's practiced at and prefers.)

Lorne

Feb 5, 2001
Single player.

Started multi during the beginning Mech warrior scene and gave up when the heads of the servers whine about everything from mech design (straight out of the books) to long range weapon when all they wanted was face to face fire circle, I gave up.

Enter Tribes, Was pretty good for awhile and the biggest limitation was latency, But the hackers overrun the fun and I gave up again.

Unreal and CS were good until over run with hacks, gave up.
C&C & StarCraft got over run with hacks, Gave up.

Rainbow Six was good when there was no incompatibility problems, Again hacks made me lose intrest so fast.
Any MMO has to many hacker, Bots and so many people losing the aspect of the game being that PVP or PK is just a feature and not the point of the game, Its also all about who can shovel the cash out and I refuse to pay to play, I gave up again.
If I ever log onto any MMO its just to chat with some old friends and see what is new.