Single Card Replacement for 2x 8800GTX

aztroy

Jul 14, 2008
Heat is my main issue that I have been running into it for a while. I have 3x120mm intake fans in my stacker to help airflow and it's helped but I need to see about swapping these cards out. I was thinking of waiting until I could get a card that had more performance that my 2x BFG 8800 GTX cards but it's summer and I am having heat issues while gaming so I don't think I should wait much longer.

Is there a single card replacement for these cards yet? The charts that are out on the sites don't really compare them to the newer cards. I'd like to keep the same level of performance if I can get a single card solution.

My setup -
30" Dell
qx6700
8gb
780i xfx
2x 300gb velociraptor
2x 75gb raptor

Thanks!
Az

BoboKatt

Nov 18, 2004
I have 2 X 8800GTX in my Antec 900 case running on a eVGA 680i board. When you say heat issues, you mean the two video cards are running too hot or is it the fact you have those 2 cards that is somehow restricting air in your case and affecting the heat in general within your case and CPU?

What temps are you getting on the GPU's when idle and when running graphic intense (gaming) apps? What temps are you getting on your CPU when playing games?

I had personally asked pretty much the same question as you did I while back when I had to decide whether to dump my 8800GTX SLI system and get something better IF there was something better that would make sense. From many responses most told me to stick with what I had.

I have to admit that when you look at a new 4870 video card, it does in some cases, as well as our SLI rigs. Also the 9800 X2 also beats our rigs I would think (that's 2 GPU's on one card) -- maybe that's an option.

Personally if you could somehow get better cooling in between cards and if that is your only problem, I would for sure stick to the 8800GTX SLI system. Honestly, it's still ONE HECK of a powerhouse. If newer cards have an increase in GPU performance over our 8800GTX SLI system, it is not earth shattering... not yet, and not enough to justify dropping those cards unless you could sell your cards and get still some decent coin that would make the "upgrade" cost you nothing and you don't mind spending the time/effort.

themisfit610

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2006
Yeah, two 4870 X2s look very, very impressive - provided the CrossfireX scaling improves in some titles.

~MiSfit

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
a single 4870x2 will be a perfect upgrade from that system. the 2gb of onboard ram will DEF help with your hi-res monitor and playing with higher AA settings

Sunrise089

Aug 30, 2005
Originally posted by: LOUISSSSS
a single 4870x2 will be a perfect upgrade from that system. the 2gb of onboard ram will DEF help with your hi-res monitor and playing with higher AA settings

2gb on onboard RAM? Is there some sort of substantial upgrade since AT's preview went live this morning? According to the preview it's just 512megsx2, with each framebuffer having access only to their own 512megs.

ss284

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Honestly pick up a gtx280 if you have the cash. The 4870x2 runs really fucking hot, like 100+ more watts at load.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3354

and the gtx280 should not be considered until its prices drop. the price/performance simply isn't there. in some cases 4850 CF bests it, in some more cases the 4870 bests it, and in all cases 4870 bests it (although for $50 more)
Although the OP has a SLI motherboard, this applies to most other people (who have more popular Intel chipsets)

according to the Anandtech review, the 4870x2 doesn't get any hotter than a single 4870 which runs cool enough with a faster spinning stock fan (similar to the 8800gt release fan problem). people are getting good temps with aftermarket coolers which means its not a hot running GPU, its a problem with the bios fan setting.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Sunrise089
Originally posted by: LOUISSSSS

2gb on onboard RAM? Is there some sort of substantial upgrade since AT's preview went live this morning? According to the preview it's just 512megsx2, with each framebuffer having access only to their own 512megs.

I think they updated it and said it's 2x1024mb.