Sinful Things Event Includes 1930s Vibrator

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001

London - A 1930s vibrator designed to "cure" women of their sexuality is part of a new Science Museum event.

The Sinful Things show lifts the lid on old-fashioned attitudes and medical practices regarding sex and bodily functions. The objects - from the London museum's archive - form the centrepiece of an adult-themed discussion and quiz show to be held at its Dana Centre. It reveals how the vibrator was invented by male doctors to combat what they perceived as "hysteria" in women.

The electric device superseded the previous practice of doctors giving genital massage to female patients. It dramatically reduced the time needed for each treatment and could be operated by the relatively unskilled. Domestic versions were soon being marketed in women's magazines such as Good Housekeeping, masquerading as muscle relaxant therapy. The vibrator on show at the Science Museum was one of the later devices used by doctors just before they began to be marketed for home use.

Curator David Rooney said: "It looks more like a hairdryer. At the time this was state-of-the-art. This is what people were using. "It wasn't shameful at all. Everyone pretty much knew what was going on but because of the way they talked about it, it was all right."

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I saw that on the History of Sex on the History Channel... I mean come on... how stupid were people back then. They were using it to "purge" the sexuality frm the women. They should have known something was up when the WOMEN were ordering them... :D

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Brutuskend
The electric device superseded the previous practice of doctors giving genital massage to female patients.

:Q Suddenly I see a whole new meaning to the phrase "I want to be a doctor when I grow up."

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Reminds me of this really off-the-wall movie I saw once.

I think it was called "Road to Wellville" or something like that...

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
the female orgasm wasn't invented until the 1960s, so how could they have known?

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
I remember car radios had vibrators. They chopped up the DC (6V) from the battery so it could be stepped up to a higher voltage for the tubes in the radio.

Cheers!