Sinclair Forces Local News Anchors To Recite Trumpian-Sounding Promos

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Some more Sinclair shenanigans, reporter run out for trying to report facts on climate change.

She Tried To Report On Climate Change. Sinclair Told Her To Be More "Balanced."
https://www.buzzfeed.com/stevenperlberg/sinclair-climate-change?utm_term=.nf8d57mao#.onwrQ2Vw4

"Sinclair Broadcast Group executives reprimanded and ultimately ousted a local news reporter who refused to seed doubt about man-made climate change and “balance” her stories in a more conservative direction.

Her account, detailed in company documents she provided to BuzzFeed News, offers a glimpse at the inner workings of a media giant that has sought to both ingratiate itself to President Donald Trump and cast itself as an apolitical local news provider — a position the documents undermine.

In one 2015 instance, the former news director of WSET-TV in Lynchburg, Virginia, Len Stevens, criticized reporter Suri Crowe because she “clearly laid out the argument that human activities cause global warming, but had nothing from the side that questions the science behind such claims and points to more natural causes for such warming.”

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Looks like Sinclair got cheap when it came to lobbying the FCC. I guess they thought their merger with Tribune would be approved by a Trump administration on "conservative principles" alone??? LOL!!!

Ajit Pai be like "where's my money??"

https://variety.com/2018/politics/news/ajit-pai-fcc-trump-sinclair-1202884312/

Last week, Pai and other commissioners voted to send the proposed merger to an administrative law judge, a move that will add at least months of delay to the transaction’s regulatory process and could end up killing the deal altogether. The FCC claims that Sinclair may have misrepresented facts in merger documents and may have engaged in a “lack of candor,” and Pai said that he had “serious concerns” about aspects of the transaction.

On Tuesday evening, Trump tweeted that it was “so sad and unfair that the FCC wouldn’t approve the Sinclair Broadcast merger with Tribune. This would have been a great and much needed Conservative voice for and of the People. Liberal Fake News NBC and Comcast gets approved, much bigger, but not Sinclair. Disgraceful!”

At an oversight hearing on Wednesday, Pai was asked by Rep. Frank Pallone (D-N.J.) whether he agreed with Trump’s tweet. Pai responded, “I stand by our decision.”

Reactions: cytg111

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Looks like Sinclair got cheap when it came to lobbying the FCC. I guess they thought their merger with Tribune would be approved by a Trump administration on "conservative principles" alone??? LOL!!!

Last week, Pai and other commissioners voted to send the proposed merger to an administrative law judge, a move that will add at least months of delay to the transaction’s regulatory process and could end up killing the deal altogether. The FCC claims that Sinclair may have misrepresented facts in merger documents and may have engaged in a “lack of candor,” and Pai said that he had “serious concerns” about aspects of the transaction.

On Tuesday evening, Trump tweeted that it was “so sad and unfair that the FCC wouldn’t approve the Sinclair Broadcast merger with Tribune. This would have been a great and much needed Conservative voice for and of the People. Liberal Fake News NBC and Comcast gets approved, much bigger, but not Sinclair. Disgraceful!”

At an oversight hearing on Wednesday, Pai was asked by Rep. Frank Pallone (D-N.J.) whether he agreed with Trump’s tweet. Pai responded, “I stand by our decision.”
Sounds like Pai may have finally realized he can't get away with giving away the nation after Scott Pruitt lost his position

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

Pai is corrupt to his core and would ideally spend the rest of his life in prison, but this is a good decision as long as it leads to killing the deal, like it has in previous instances where ALJ hearings were involved.

Sinclair has been shady about the whole thing, trying to orchestrate 'non-sales' where it technically gives up a station, but still has effective control. And that reflects its real intent; the acquisition isn't necessary for survival, it's all about gaining dominance and silencing dissenting political views.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

Trump ripping on Pai?

89c.gif

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Trump ripping on Pai?

89c.gif

Wonder if Pai is learning the lesson that all Trump administration members eventually learn: that it's really just a matter of time before Trump throws them under the bus. He's probably thankful that it would take impeachment for him to be removed from office.

Reactions: cytg111

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

The only reason why Pai voted the way he did was because he's in the pocket of Verizon/Comcast and those megacorps can't have a competitor in Sinclair. It's not like he did it for the right reasons.