Since when were the "Bad" Words..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComputerWizKid

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2004
Since when were the "Bad" words allowed to be said un-bleeped on Comedy Central? I know it probably has been awhile but I just noticed Wednesday night on South Park. It is about Fucking time :biggrin: I pay for cable so I should get all of my Swears farts and other shit intact Lol Family Guy (The Fricken FCC on the episode PTV)

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
It's after a certain time every night, I believe. (11PM?)

ComputerWizKid

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2004
I did not know that but the time Probably earlier at 10:00PM as South Park starts at 10PM (Eastern Daylight Time GMT-5)

OUCaptain

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Yup. I remember they played the South Park movie with all the fucks at midnight a while back.

Does it apply to radio too? I wondered about it, being broadcast, but I swear I remember hearing NIN uncensored late one night.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I thought it has something to do with Comedy Central, they've been playing stuff uncut after 10 or so for years. I once heard that they just bite the bullet and eat FCC fines or something, I'm not sure there's any truth to that, though.

Poulsonator

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2002
Comedy Central is a cable channel...technically they can do whatever they want. It's just that their sponsors may not like it and decide not to pay to advertise with them.

GregGreen

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2000
Comedy Central is a cable channel...technically they can do whatever they want. It's just that their sponsors may not like it and decide not to pay to advertise with them.

If i remember reading correctly, there have been recent court cases that reiterate the fact they are a cable channel and can do whatever they want.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Yeah, they only bleep stuff out to not piss off viewers, sponsors & cable providers.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
If i remember reading correctly, there have been recent court cases that reiterate the fact they are a cable channel and can do whatever they want.

That's been the legal interpretation regarding "offensive" (swearing) and "indecent" (nudity/sex/racy) but not obscene (nuns blowing donkeys gratuitously inserted, i.e., isn't an integral part of the story, therefore deemed w/o redeeming artistic value) programming on cable TV and satellite TV and radio vs. broadcast TV and radio for some time now.

Straight from fcc.gov:
It is a violation of federal law to air obscene programming at any time. It is also a violation of federal law to broadcast indecent or profane programming during certain hours.

With respect to cable and satellite services, Congress has charged the Commission with enforcing the statutory prohibition against airing indecent programming "by means of radio communications." The Commission has historically interpreted this restriction to apply to radio and television broadcasters, and has never extended it to cover cable operators. In addition, because cable and satellite services are subscription-based, viewers of these services have greater control over the programming content that comes into their homes, whereas broadcast content traditionally has been available to any member of the public with a radio or television.

The safe harbor period applies only to over the air broadcasts:

Regarding the safe harbor period, Congress and the courts have instructed the Commission only to enforce the indecency standard between the hours of 6 a.m. and 10 p.m., local time. - when children are more likely to be in the audience. As a consequence, the Commission does not take action on indecent material aired between 10 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. In this way, constitutionally-protected free speech rights of adults are balanced with the need to protect children from harmful content.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
It's interesting what is bleeped on OTA stuff. Like I remember the first time I heard a "shit" on NYPD Blue. Damn is perfectly fine, but "god-damn" is only bleeped out, and only the god part.

Status
Not open for further replies.