Since when has the word "suck" become a noun??

cbuchach

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2000
In the Anandtech forums more and more I have seen the word "suck" being used as a noun as opposed to a verb. Ex. Something is suck. Where did this usage come from?? And is commonly used like this in conversation or is its use more restricted to these forums?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
It came from someone posting a staples rant with the title "Staples is suck!!!!" It caught on, & people have been using it ever since.

I have never heard it used in conversation, it just sounds awkward used in conversation. Typed it's much easier to deal with, & it's become such a common phrase that people don't think twice about it.

Viper GTS

NaughtyusMaximus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The 'is suck' came from a user who was here a long time ago, and frequently misused the English language. He said 'is suck' once, and for some reason its stuck.

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
Indeed. Although an article would make it a noun. Something like "Staples is a suck!" or "Staples is the suck!"

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Doesn't an adjective describe a noun, so when you say "Something is suck", suck acts as the noun since it is the object the verb "is" is referring to. For it to be an adjective, there would have to be another noun for it to describe :).

yiwonder

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2000

<< Doesn't an adjective describe a noun, so when you say "Something is suck", suck acts as the noun since it is the object the verb "is" is referring to. For it to be an adjective, there would have to be another noun for it to describe :). >>

Wrong. In "Something is suck", suck is a predicate adjective. It modifies "something." This happens in sentences with "linking" verbs (like is and other "to be" verbs).

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000

<< Since when has the word "suck" become a noun?? >>

as long as nefs have been neffing and wmc's have been crying.

I personally credit the movie "office space," but others attribute it to various members

manuelku

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 1999
isn't that "suck" means to absorb or something? how come it transforms into an offensive word?

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
RipRidah was the first, uttering these immortal words: "Staples is suck!"

Nov 7, 2000

<< Doesn't an adjective describe a noun, so when you say "Something is suck", suck acts as the noun since it is the object the verb "is" is referring to. For it to be an adjective, there would have to be another noun for it to describe >>

In the sentence, Something is suck, "something" is the subject (noun). "Is" is the verb. Because "is" is a linking verb, "suck" is either a predicate adjective (pa) or a predicate nominative (pn). A pa describes the subject, and a pn renames the subject. Pns are always nouns, and pa's are always adjectives. because "suck" is lacking an article, i believe in this usage it would be an adjective - along the lines of "sucky".

Hooray for high school grammar!

Kwatt

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2000
I would like to know why some people think "suck" is bad.

Not everything that SUCKS is bad.

Think about it......

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
<< Ex. Something is suck. >>

I believe your example shows suck used as an adjective, not a noun. :Q Similar example, "Something is blue."

killface

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
LOL - I was thinking of posting this same question in the "Verizon is suck" thread.

Logix

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2001
So, is there any difference between something that sucks and something that blows? :confused::Q

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
I thought it always came from that famous Japanese Anime...

All your base belong to us.

And I thought the bad use of english just spread to 'is suck'