Since when did Jerusalem become the capital of Israel?

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
so they're stealing the holy land and no one's doing anything about it? Jerusalem is the land of peace and belongs to no one and everyone. guess i really shouldn't be surprised....

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
so they're stealing the holy land and no one's doing anything about it? Jerusalem is the land of peace and belongs to no one and everyone. guess i really shouldn't be surprised....

I dont know about all that jazz, but in politics religion should have no place.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Israel declared it to be their capital in 1980. I'm confused, isn't it the right of a sovereign nation to declare its own capital? Couldn't we, if we chose to, declare New York to be our capital without the approval of the international community?

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Wake me up when Jerusalem becomes off limits to everyone else besides those individuals packing a suicide vest.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Short answer is roughly 3,000 years ago. But assuming you mean the modern state of Israel, 1949.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When the city of Jersalem is equally holy to Christians, Jews, and Mulims, it in fact becomes impossible impossible to divorce religion from politics.

As for each major religion, its super hotbed core issue. Not only is it absurd to allow one religion to pig all of Jerusalem, its triply absurd to allow the smallest religion by a huge margin to pig all of Jerusalem. Maybe the USA is the most pro Israeli nation on the planet, as for the other 191 members of the UN, they refuse to give Israel a blank check. Nor will they follow the USA in that foolishness.

Not to mention the fact that every US President since Truman without exception has opposed the idea of Isreal claiming Jerusalem as its capital.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When the city of Jersalem is equally holy to Christians, Jews, and Mulims, it in fact becomes impossible impossible to divorce religion from politics.

As for each major religion, its super hotbed core issue. Not only is it absurd to allow one religion to pig all of Jerusalem, its triply absurd to allow the smallest religion by a huge margin to pig all of Jerusalem. Maybe the USA is the most pro Israeli nation on the planet, as for the other 191 members of the UN, they refuse to give Israel a blank check. Nor will they follow the USA in that foolishness.

Not to mention the fact that every US President since Truman without exception has opposed the idea of Isreal claiming Jerusalem as its capital.

So Israel can not declare it to be the capital; but it was OK for the Muslims to prevent anyone else for visiting it? :confused: Why?

Israel has made it accessible to EVERYONE.
They have not denied access to Muslims because of the religion.

Tel Aviv was the temp capital because they did not have access at the time to Jerusalem.

The Arabs when being greedy ended up allow access to the city.

If Israel was not around, few non-Muslims would every see Jerusalem.

The largest of the three religions tried to maintain control and failed.
The middle one had control, screwed up and lost it.
The smallest one obtained control; shares it and people bitch because they have control.

Last edited:

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
Israel is the only country in the world that has not.officially declared its borders. (maybe one day they will after they finish stealing all arab land around them). why should they even be allowed to pick a capital? and one as beautiful as the sacred Lcity of Jerusalem?

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Israel is the only country in the world that has not.officially declared its borders. (maybe one day they will after they finish stealing all arab land around them). why should they even be allowed to pick a capital? and one as beautiful as the sacred Lcity of Jerusalem?

We should wipe Israel off the map!

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
We should wipe Israel off the map!

You go right ahead and do that. It isn't like their actual military was trained by our navy seals or nothing. . .

There has been war, threats, bloodshed, and all inbetween in the Mesopotamia region for many millenia. (Now referred to the Middle East).

Why should we expect this to change?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

why declare their borders if those borders are to be ignored?

Initial borders lasted les than 24 hours before the cherry picking was attempted by the Arabs.

But I guess it is OK for the Arabs but not for Israel?

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You go right ahead and do that. It isn't like their actual military was trained by our navy seals or nothing. . .

There has been war, threats, bloodshed, and all inbetween in the Mesopotamia region for many millenia. (Now referred to the Middle East).

Why should we expect this to change?

I was egging SandEagle on. That's what the King of Jordan said right before they lost the Six Day War.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I don't think it's arguable that Jerusalem is currently better off in the hands of Israel than an Arab Muslim nation.

Ideally, at least in my mind, Jerusalem would become some sort of Vatican-like city-state and would thus neatly avoid all of these issues of ownership. There is, after all, things that many nations value to be found there. But we're decades away from anything sensible like that.

Apr 27, 2012

Your right they have no right to pick a capital until the arabs stop blowing themselves up and accept Christianity :D

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
EK tells us not just one but two total lies. As EK claims------------------------------------

"So Israel can not declare it to be the capital; but it was OK for the Muslims to prevent anyone else for visiting it? Why?" ( When Israeli statehood in 1948 gave Israel the bulk of Jerusalem, Israel, as early as 1948, started systematically removing Arabs and Palestinians from their parts of Jerusalem and denying and denying them access. A trend not only in Jerusalem but all over Israel. And a trend that continues to this very day. The problem with Israel claiming Jerusalem as its capital then, was that Israel in 1948 did not own East Jerusalem and still don't own East Jerusalem today. As today, East Jerusalem may be under Israeli military ocupation, but that occupation, by UN doctrine does not and never will qualify for Israeli ownership.

"Israel has made it accessible to EVERYONE.
They have not denied access to Muslims because of the religion." ( Another huge lie EK, even though Arabs and Palestinians are not any better. As both sides deny access to religious sites under their control. Of course that may not be totally true for visiting foreign dignaities, as for the common Muslim, they are totally shut out. )

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
EK tells us not just one but two total lies. As EK claims------------------------------------

"So Israel can not declare it to be the capital; but it was OK for the Muslims to prevent anyone else for visiting it? Why?" ( When Israeli statehood in 1948 gave Israel the bulk of Jerusalem, Israel, as early as 1948, started systematically removing Arabs and Palestinians from their parts of Jerusalem and denying and denying them access. A trend not only in Jerusalem but all over Israel. And a trend that continues to this very day. The problem with Israel claiming Jerusalem as its capital then, was that Israel in 1948 did not own East Jerusalem and still don't own East Jerusalem today. As today, East Jerusalem may be under Israeli military ocupation, but that occupation, by UN doctrine does not and never will qualify for Israeli ownership.

"Israel has made it accessible to EVERYONE.
They have not denied access to Muslims because of the religion." ( Another huge lie EK, even though Arabs and Palestinians are not any better. As both sides deny access to religious sites under their control. Of course that may not be totally true for visiting foreign dignaities, as for the common Muslim, they are totally shut out. )
If one wants access to another's property, not exploding is a pretty good start.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Where does this crapola come from that May/1948 State of Israel did not have defined borders? When those boders were precisely defined.

As for that other issue, namely the Various Arab states who bitterly opposed Israel being granted Statehood, then when Israel was granted Statehood, they simply exersized their military options much like the USA and all our nation do routinely.

Given the overwheming odds stacked against Israel in 1948, it could have been the end of Isreal. But due to general Arab disorganization, combined with poor planning, over optimism, history tells us, that the Arabs managed to grasp defeat from the Jaws of victory in 1948. Or we can look at it from the Israeli side, as Isreal received not only great illegal foreign help, Israel was better organized and co-ordinated than the corrisponging Arab side was not.

As for me, I cheer that 1948 Israeli victory. And I steadfastly maintain Israel would be an accepted member of the Mid-east community by 1960. But instead Israel started a program of massive land thefts against its majority Palestinian population it promised to grant equal rights to as a price of 1948 Statehood.

And here we are in 2012, and without a viable Palestinian State, Isreal will never become an accepted member of the mid-east community. Forever stretches into the infinite future, as Arabs with oil and a far vaster population will sooner or later gain military hegemony over Israel. As Israel in 1992 was in better shape than it is today, as Isreal is digging itself an even bigger hole in 2012. Sooner the USA must choose, to have a fair mid-east foreign policy or to keep siding only with Israel.

As I also maintain, the international community will give up on the Oslo accords idea that Israel and the Palestinian will ever ink a mutually acceptable deal and turn to binding third party abitration. Or alternately, if the two State solution becomes no longer viable, the remaining solution may end up being, Israel assimilating its Palestinians
with full voting rights.

Que in EK to say its all the Palestinians fault, when almost every world leader blames Israel more. As Netanyuhu has brought Israeli credibility to world record lows.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003

Your talking about the ME remember...Everything there involves religion. And as far as "Who" owns Jerusalum goes, its better that the Jews have it than the Arabs. Atleast Israel is a [officially] secular state and religious freedom is better there than any of their neighbor states...

Muslims on the other hand have a terrible track record of religious tolerance and thats being nice...Just look at Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Egypt, Iran, the list goes on forever. The "Holy" city would be a Quasi Islamabad under Muslim rule.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
I don't think it's arguable that Jerusalem is currently better off in the hands of Israel than an Arab Muslim nation.

Ideally, at least in my mind, Jerusalem would become some sort of Vatican-like city-state and would thus neatly avoid all of these issues of ownership. There is, after all, things that many nations value to be found there. But we're decades away from anything sensible like that.

It will always be better off in Israel's hands, Muslims controlling it is destined for failure, we all know how tolerant Islam is. /sarcasm

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Let me present maybe a longer term view of the history of the perhaps 3500 year old fate of the city of Jerusalem. As control of Jerusalem as changed once ever 150 years or so, ever since. And almost like clockwork. Are you impressed the Jews now have the Lions share of Jerusalem control after 60 years?

As I maintain, its time for the world to grow a brain, and realize that the city of Jerusalen, and infinitely holy to Christian, Jews and Muslims, can't be pigged by only by one religion or another. As I maintian, because pigging Jerusalen never worked in the past, fairly sharing Jerusalm in the future is and remains the only viable future.