Since China owns so much of the US' debt

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Karot

Jan 15, 2007
US wouldn't want to attack China. They've got one of the largest military forces in the world.

For a different reason, China wouldn't want to attack the US. Although they have a huge force, they lack the ability to project, or make their influence felt outside of the territories close to their nation. And we've got a convenient moat between us and China.

imported_Tick

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Karot
US wouldn't want to attack China. They've got one of the largest military forces in the world.

For a different reason, China wouldn't want to attack the US. Although they have a huge force, they lack the ability to project, or make their influence felt outside of the territories close to their nation. And we've got a convenient moat between us and China.

We also have lots and lots and lots of bombs and planes.

WA261

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: idiotekniQues
Originally posted by: Ronstang
They couldn't beat us in a war anyway.

cause we are doing so well in iraq

It would not be urban warfare if we went to war with China...eat much dick lately Mr. Lib?

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
Originally posted by: WA261

It would not be urban warfare if we went to war with China...eat much dick lately Mr. Lib?

ahh you must be one of them thinkin men.

having deep thoughts again are we?

dont strain so hard to come up with insults, you may hurt yourself next time.

and you arent even good at it.

and what kind of war would it be genius?

Estrella

Jan 29, 2006
enough warmongers... go shoot a deer or something...better yet, catch it with your teeth.

WA261

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001

Oh my hell, as are you. But that was quite a try. Keep up the good work.

It would be a very quick Nuclear war. IF it ever came to that, which I doubt it ever would.

I have to say, I cracked up when I read your reply...so funny to see people like you. It cracks me up. You are so "on top" of anything that goes on. And sheesh...thanks for putting me in my place. I do not know where I would have been without your..without your....hmmm....something pulled out of your ass reply...? Thanks for your input.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: JS80
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: her209
Why would they? They can just take the money and RUN!
they don't have the money, we do
they are merely holding pieces of e-paper with letters and numbers on them. suckers! hahaha
Those bonds will have to be paid back at some point. At that point, the Chinese investor can put that money into a more profitable investment, at which point, the US government will be looking for someone else to buy its bonds.

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007

It would be a very quick Nuclear war. IF it ever came to that, which I doubt it ever would.

I have to say, I cracked up when I read your reply...so funny to see people like you. It cracks me up. You are so "on top" of anything that goes on. And sheesh...thanks for putting me in my place. I do not know where I would have been without your..without your....hmmm....something pulled out of your ass reply...? Thanks for your input.

hello. you told somebody to eat dick mr. lib. how much more of an idiot can you be? not much. you sound like a complete closeminded bigoted moron. a part of the problem with our society, and one that should be educated to at least an 8th grade level.

and a nuclear war. which is quite a lot worse than iraq dont you think? id say that would not go quite as well as iraq even.

in order to avoid nuclear war, we would have to make it conventional, and considering how well iraq is going, we would be ****** in a conventional war with china.

so unless your neo-con gods in charge would want a war with a nuclear power and take us all down with their and your lunacy, it would be conventional. adn we woulud not fare so well.

have a seat little man. cause anybody that resorts to such lame bigoted attacks can never be a real man.

considering the post i was replying to was saying they coulnt beat us, it would be safe to assume he wasnt thinking nuclear. cause if that were the case, we would both lose.

get with it. you fail reading son.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Iraq isnt a war, its an occupation. A war is an action between two nation states with armies. We could level China with ballistic weapons and there isnt much they could do about it other than use nuclear weapons. We wouldnt have to step foot in China, we have a superior Navy.

In a conventional war the US wins hands down. It would take years of bombing and blockades, but ot only could we destroy their entire physical infustructre, but we could easily cripple their economy with our Navy. We could stop any ship from getting to port in China. Without trade China can't last that long. In an unconventional war(nuclear war) the whole world loses.

WA261

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001

hello. you told somebody to eat dick mr. lib. how much more of an idiot can you be? not much. you sound like a complete closeminded bigoted moron. a part of the problem with our society, and one that should be educated to at least an 8th grade level.

and a nuclear war. which is quite a lot worse than iraq dont you think? id say that would not go quite as well as iraq even.

in order to avoid nuclear war, we would have to make it conventional, and considering how well iraq is going, we would be ****** in a conventional war with china.

so unless your neo-con gods in charge would want a war with a nuclear power and take us all down with their and your lunacy, it would be conventional. adn we woulud not fare so well.

have a seat little man. cause anybody that resorts to such lame bigoted attacks can never be a real man.

considering the post i was replying to was saying they coulnt beat us, it would be safe to assume he wasnt thinking nuclear. cause if that were the case, we would both lose.

"Fail reading son", yeah....ok. You can take the "son" and stick it in your pathetic dem/lib/dic*head warped ass. Then you should try checking you spelling/punctuation. After that you should think about what your saying. Any type of conventional war with China would never happen. I will keep it simple for you. "IF" we were to go to war with China..it would not be the sh!t you see now. It would be the thing you wish you never saw. It is as simple as that. 2 Super Powers are not going to go at it on the ground.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Uh? how would we be fvcked in a conventional war? We would NEVER have to set a single foot in country. We could put 4 of our carrier groups around China. Ramp up missle production and well, we could probably get to the point we could launch 1000 missles a day. China as a country would be blown to bits by our superior Naval and Air powers. They may have a million man army, but having the worlds largest and most superior navy easily trumps that. A war with China would be to cut off most infustructure and cripple their trade to the point they surrender.

Not to mention the US will never attack China. China would have to declare war on the US, which would get are allies back behind US. We could actually probably have Russia behind us too, because they dont want a China more powerful than them, because that would be a huge threat to them.

Due to International Relations and International Trade it is unlikely the US and China will ever fight a war.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Hiya Pot, how are you today?
I am great Kettle! How are you?
I am good Kettle. Nice to meet you.

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
Originally posted by: Wreckem

Uh? how would we be fvcked in a conventional war? We would NEVER have to set a single foot in country. We could put 4 of our carrier groups around China. Ramp up missle production and well, we could probably get to the point we could launch 1000 missles a day. China as a country would be blown to bits by our superior Naval and Air powers. They may have a million man army, but having the worlds largest and most superior navy easily trumps that. A war with China would be to cut off most infustructure and cripple their trade to the point they surrender.

Not to mention the US will never attack China. China would have to declare war on the US, which would get are allies back behind US. We could actually probably have Russia behind us too, because they dont want a China more powerful than them, because that would be a huge threat to them.

Due to International Relations and International Trade it is unlikely the US and China will ever fight a war.

you really think china would let us blockade them, bombard them with missiles and they would just sit tight and not utilize a nuclear response and just let their country turn to rubble until they surrendered?

dream on.

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
Originally posted by: Evadman

again you fail at reading.

people that resort to bigoted hatefilled kneejerk responses are in fact little people. the only thing you may be right about that i was incorrect is that i assumed you are in fact a male. you may be a woman.

so little person wouldhave been a better term. so i stand corrected, little person.

my statement is nothing more than a correct observation of who and what you are. you shouldnt make it so easy for people to call you out.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000

you really think china would let us blockade them, bombard them with missiles and they would just sit tight and not utilize a nuclear response and just let their country turn to rubble until they surrendered?

dream on.

You are a deluded idiot. They wouldn't have much choice. They cannot go against our Navy and win, they cannot go against our Air Force and win (remember their top ace crashed into one of our data gathering planes and killed himself in the process?), so their only option would be nuclear which would simply be committing suicide.

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007

dream on.

You are a deluded idiot. They wouldn't have much choice. They cannot go against our Navy and win, they cannot go against our Air Force and win (remember their top ace crashed into one of our data gathering planes and killed himself in the process?), so their only option would be nuclear which would simply be committing suicide.

quite simply, the reason nuclear weapons are a deterrant is because we know that if we tried to bomb china back into the stoneage convetinally, they would respond backed into a corner with a nuclear option.

hence nuclear deterrent. it wouldnt be a deterrent if we didnt think they would use them.

use a dictionary, it may help you. perhaps idiot is your biggest vocabulary word of the evening, so wait until tomorrow to look other words up.

and wtf does a pilot crashing into a data plane have to do with comparing a reaction to a full scale conventional assault on the country. and you are calling me an idiot?

you sound so smart you probably were in the iraq war planning committee that planned so well for this war we are in now.

WA261

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Evadman

again you fail at reading.

people that resort to bigoted hatefilled kneejerk responses are in fact little people. the only thing you may be right about that i was incorrect is that i assumed you are in fact a male. you may be a woman.

so little person wouldhave been a better term. so i stand corrected, little person.

my statement is nothing more than a correct observation of who and what you are. you shouldnt make it so easy for people to call you out.

LOL..we have some douche here that can not back what they are saying. It is so funny to see him/her try and climb out. Keep it up, you are cracking all of us up. Cant wait to see what you come up with next...hahahhahaha. This is good.

Eh..bummer. I need to crash... have a flight early. Keep this poor soul in check you guys.

Night.

puffff

Platinum Member
Jun 25, 2004
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Why would they? They can just take the money and RUN!
they don't have the money, we do
they are merely holding pieces of e-paper with letters and numbers on them. suckers! hahaha
Those bonds will have to be paid back at some point. At that point, the Chinese investor can put that money into a more profitable investment, at which point, the US government will be looking for someone else to buy its bonds.

bingo. china simply has to stop purchasing US debt to give us trouble.

plus, US wont ever default on its debt. if we ever do, watch our economy come to a screeching halt. our dollar will be worthless, because it's backed by confidence in the US govt. we'll end up on the gold standard again. i imagine, should there ever be a US - China war, US will still live up to its debt. we'd use other financial tactics like sanctions and whatnot to cut off china.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

dream on.

Didnt you just say something about a conventional war? Heck we could probably just cut off their trade and not bomb them and they'd be pretty screwed. And Im not so certain they would use a nuclear weapon. Surrendering would allow them to live. Nuclear means every last one of their citizens would die, same can be said for the US.

Lets see, a rational human being would pick which choice.

1. Nuclear strike on US, with 100% certain retalitation resulting in 100% death toll of the Chinese people.

Or

2. Surrender, and survive to live another day.

The rational person would choose 2. And dont say that China would act irrationally because their dictators wont be around forever.

IMHO theres a better chance China will become a democracy, than there is of a China vs US war. Hell there is a greater chance of a Russia vs China war than a US vs China war IMHO. With their population, its just a matter of time they will need more land and women.

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007

dream on.

Didnt you just say something about a conventional war?

Yeah you did so STFU.

You are the deluded one. China and the US will never go to war against eachother.

im not even sure you people know what you write or what is being discussed.

the original statement was that in a war we would beat china.

i responded with look how well we are doing in iraq.

one person says duh, it would be nuclear. then i responded that obviously that is an option, and if that were the case, we would not beat them cause we would be the recipients of a nuclear attack as well. so no, we dont beat them, we both lose.

then you come along and say that all we have to do is never set foot in the country just attack them from air and from sea and they would surrender.

well first of all, if we cant win a conventional war in iraq, a country that had been bombed into the stone age for a decade, how the ****** would your genius plan work out in china which has a much larger geographical area, resources & military. why did we have to set foot in iraq? why dont you explain why we wouldnt have to set foot in china then?

so basically, you fail in every angle.

and i never said china and the US will goto war against each other, i merely responded to a person who seemed to think war with china is a sure win for us. i in fact do not think we will goto war with china, though with the nuts in power now here at home, and with a base of supporters of people as mindless as you, anything is possible.

so basically, you call me deluded because china & the US will never goto war against each other when i never implied that they would in the first place. the only delusional poster here is you, who cant even keep track of the conversation of who is saying what.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

dream on.

Didnt you just say something about a conventional war?

Yeah you did so STFU.

You are the deluded one. China and the US will never go to war against eachother.

im not even sure you people know what you write or what is being discussed.

the original statement was that in a war we would beat china.

i responded with look how well we are doing in iraq.

one person says duh, it would be nuclear. then i responded that obviously that is an option, and if that were the case, we would not beat them cause we would be the recipients of a nuclear attack as well. so no, we dont beat them, we both lose.

then you come along and say that all we have to do is never set foot in the country just attack them from air and from sea and they would surrender.

well first of all, if we cant win a conventional war in iraq, a country that had been bombed into the stone age for a decade, how the ****** would your genius plan work out in china which has a much larger geographical area, resources & military. why did we have to set foot in iraq? why dont you explain why we wouldnt have to set foot in china then?

so basically, you fail in every angle.

and i never said china and the US will goto war against each other, i merely responded to a person who seemed to think war with china is a sure win for us. i in fact do not think we will goto war with china, though with the nuts in power now here at home, and with a base of supporters of people as mindless as you, anything is possible.

so basically, you call me deluded because china & the US will never goto war against each other when i never implied any such thing. the only delusional poster here is you, who cant even keep track of the conversation of who is saying what.

You're the one that doesnt know WTF you are talking about.

Iraq is NOT war, its an occupation of a country in the midst of a civil war. We destroyed the Iraqi army. We overthrew Saddam and installed a shell government. We executed Saddam. To say was lost the war in Iraq is an idiotic statement. War has never been so swift. Now the occupation on the other hand, thats a different story. Its not war, its keeping the peace, and as a result we arent going all out militariliy.

The US cannot at this point or any point in the foreseeable future be beaten at a conventional war. We made the mistake of trying to keep the peace in Iraq. In China we would just say fvck 'em, and not bother with an occupation. We'd let the UN clean up our mess.

China would have to be the first to act. And in a one on one war(which would never ever happen) the US would then blockade China, and if peace talks didnt work, continously bomb their military infustructure. At some point we would start targeting civilian infustructure. China's only choice in reality would be to surrender. No rational human being is going sacrifice themselves and their billion people with a nuclear attack on the US.

Nuclear weapons are only a deterent from having an aggressor attack you. If you start the war, they are useless other than having an irrational outcome.

China isnt so foolish to mess with the United States. And do I need to bring up the point of our allies, if they did? It would likely be the world vs China.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
China has the largest population in the world with limited natural resources at home, that's why the Chinese government is setting up networks around the world, such as Iran, South America and Africa to acquire what they need. The US is the largest consumer in the world, and we want the same resources as the Chinese. What will China do when it becomes the superpower it desperately wants to be? I don't think the Chinese want to pick a fight with the US, neither do we. But the Chinese don't want the US to be a major power in Asia, militarily or economically.

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by: UncleWai
Originally posted by: IHateMyJob2004
The problem with China is that if they wanted to, they could financially ruin the US because of what the OP said.

And US would physically ruin China.
I think it's not good to try to analyze the situation in an economic standpoint. Technically the interest payment alone from the T-bonds would put US in a deep hole. However we can't discredit the hundreds of nuclear missiles lining up.

Neither US nor China wants the other side dead, there's just so much production/profit to be made.

And about the comment that China's purchasing T-bonds is an indicator of how fragile the Chinese economy. That's a very absurd statement. Where else do you suppose China should put the money gained from net export? You don't hide the money in a ditch in the backyard, you invest it.

They are certainly not investing in their own economy, they are investing it in US assets! What does that tell you?!?

Exactly.

China wouldn't dump all the US dollars they hold and turn them into Chinese Yuan. That would destroy the low exchange rate, which has been the key for China's huge net export surplus. Also, if the money is flowing back to China, that would completely saturate the fund market in China. By then, all the foreign private investment would flow out of China using the strong Chinese Yuan exchange rate. Game, set, match, China loses if that's the case.