Since 2006, Michigan Police have received 1,795 M16s,696 M14s and 9 grenade launchers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I understand the need for one, and due to the actual dangers of them (as you stated), I don't see police having the proper training to stay proficient in using it.

I am unsure how often police are required to "qualify" or show proficiency on the weapons they are authorized to use. In the military, it was once a year for most people as well as before any deployment. This really only consisted of a two day training: half day was weapon safety with what we were using (either M9 or M16/M4) and the next half sighting the weapon and shooting targets. There were minimum requirements to be able to carry that weapon. Having to do this with more than their service pistol would add extra training (and therefore money), especially if they don't readily have the facilities to shoot a grenade launcher.
I'd guess few really qualify on such a weapon, although there's a fair number of ex-military in law enforcement. One big problem is that since it's considered a less-lethal, people tend to think of it as safe, discounting the fact that it fires a quarter kilo of steel. We see similar cases of people killed by rubber bullets.

Military qualification can be funny. I had a buddy who served as an infantryman in Vietnam who was immediately handed an M60 to carry. He had never fired one or even seen one fired before carrying it, he had no assistant gunner, no tripod, no spare barrel, no extra ammo, no clue how to load it or add to a belt, no clue how to clean it, and only a teaser belt loaded. Had he needed to fire off more than the fifty or so rounds he carried, someone would have had to unpack a belt and load it for him. The most powerful weapon in the squad and it was assigned solely on the basis of being heavy and ungainly, and therefore the new guy's responsibility to carry. I'm sure that similarly there are lots of ex-military for whom the M79 is similarly a mystery, and probably most of these are not going to turn down a chance to have a grenade launcher.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
What's wrong with the pistols they carry plus the shotguns they all have in the squad car already?
They can't fire grenades from them? lol

Unless loaded with shot, shotguns are merely inaccurate, highly lethal short range rifles. If loaded with shot, shotguns are a great danger to bystanders.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
9 grenade launchers spread out the entire state of Michigan. Oh no! And it's obvious they're not lobbing grenades at houses like you do in video games to "take out the guard tower." It's most likely for tear gas or firing stun grenades when dealing with riots.

What is strange is that 5 of the 9 Grenade launchers went to one county. Barry county (pop 59000) to be exact which has practically no urban population. The only real town is Hastings (pop 7300). I find it a stretch to think Michigan's drug war is being fought in one of the lowest pop sleepiest counties in the state. I think the LEOs must be LARPing CODMW.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
i personally think Michigan has some wounds from the militia days and left over fear of a militia attack with military weapons though I dont condone it one bit.

Personally I dont mind if these weapons are stored at a MILITARY base and in case of EXTREME emergency sent out to local PD in a back up role though it would need major oversight and be only used under extreme cases.

Vapid Cabal

Dec 2, 2013
They can't fire grenades from them? lol

Unless loaded with shot, shotguns are merely inaccurate, highly lethal short range rifles. If loaded with shot, shotguns are a great danger to bystanders.

Correct, tactical shotguns are not used for precision operations.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Habersham County officials say they do not plan to pay for the medical expenses of a toddler seriously injured during a police raid.

Looking for someone who isn't there, SWAT Team will burn your child's face with an explosive device. And then, refuse to take responsibility, apologize, or even pay for the child's hospital expenses.

Then again, SWAT isn't here to serve or to protect.

They are warriors in the failing drug war.

And in war, civilians are collateral damage.

Uno
Or dogs.
1) Break into house without warning.
2) Shoot dogs that attack, bark, whine, or run away.
3) Serve a warrant for a nonviolent crime.

i personally think Michigan has some wounds from the militia days and left over fear of a militia attack with military weapons though I dont condone it one bit.

Personally I dont mind if these weapons are stored at a MILITARY base and in case of EXTREME emergency sent out to local PD in a back up role though it would need major oversight and be only used under extreme cases.
That'd be it - proper, non-corrupt oversight.

"We got a guy who might have bought about 20 grams of weed. A search warrant needs to be executed at his apartment. We need enough armament to take down a militia of 50 trained soldiers. That should do the trick."

Last edited:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"We got a guy who might have bought about 20 grams of weed. A search warrant needs to be executed at his friend's cousin's mom's apartment. We need enough armament to take down a militia of 50 trained soldiers. That should do the trick."

Fixed that for ya...

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
What is strange is that 5 of the 9 Grenade launchers went to one county. Barry county (pop 59000) to be exact which has practically no urban population. The only real town is Hastings (pop 7300). I find it a stretch to think Michigan's drug war is being fought in one of the lowest pop sleepiest counties in the state. I think the LEOs must be LARPing CODMW.
:D Probably.

Correct, tactical shotguns are not used for precision operations.
Yep. Shotguns make great tools, just not for all purposes. For some purposes, a rifle is a much better tool.

Or dogs.
1) Break into house without warning.
2) Shoot dogs that attack, bark, whine, or run away.
3) Serve a warrant for a nonviolent crime.

That'd be it - proper, non-corrupt oversight.

"We got a guy who might have bought about 20 grams of weed. A search warrant needs to be executed at his apartment. We need enough armament to take down a militia of 50 trained soldiers. That should do the trick."
"Then we'll fire in teargas, throw in a couple flash bangs, bust down the door and charge in, thereby maximizing the chance we'll shoot someone holding a hair dryer, toy gun, TV remote, or copy of Ebony or Hip Hop Monthly magazine."

Oct 30, 2004
Michigan police received:

1795 M16's
696 M14's
9 grenade launchers

Hey, it takes a lot of firepower to keep a lid on a high crime city like Detroit.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I'm not going to do the research right now, but I question your figures on civilian deaths.

Went by your link on the civilian deaths. We've already establish around 10 officers per year are killed by assault rifles. Your link shows the number of innocent deaths in botched raids. It is closer to 3, with one year being a large outlier and quite a few having 0.