Simple weight training question

UnatcoAgent

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Hi guys

I'm going to the gym about 4 times a week now at my residence and doing some light lifting. I'm pretty in shape but I would like to build more muscle mass. My diet is ok, I don't drink any pop, but lots o juice.

My question is if I should be eating only non fatty foods / no carbs if I want to gain muscle mass, or should I not worry about it and just try to eat more protein since I'm not trying to lose fat.

Thanks

- Rob

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Magnum375
Originally posted by: bradruth
Weight Gainer 4000.

Aside from drugs

Eat more protein than usual. You'll still want some carbs so your muscles are adequately fueled, but the extra protein should promote muscle growth and keep them repaired.

LSUfan

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Magnum375
Hi guys

I'm going to the gym about 4 times a week now at my residence and doing some light lifting. I'm pretty in shape but I would like to build more muscle mass. My diet is ok, I don't drink any pop, but lots o juice.

My question is if I should be eating only non fatty foods / no carbs if I want to gain muscle mass, or should I not worry about it and just try to eat more protein since I'm not trying to lose fat.

Thanks

- Rob

Eat a well balanced diet. Working out will take care of the rest.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Since you are trying to gain mass do not cut carbs and fat out of your diet, you will need them now more than ever. Just make sure they are the "good" kinds of fat and carbs. I've heard that if you cut them out of your diet then your body will start relying on protein to meet its regular needs, possibly making it more likely to cannibalize the existing protein in your body. Maybe BS, but maybe not.

And yes you should also try to increase the amount of protein that you eat as well. I'm not much of a diet guru, though, so I can't give you many tips in that area. Try the diet and nutrition area of http://www.discussfitness.com for some good info.