Simple rack mount system for a home possible?

drunkgamer

Apr 21, 2008
Hi guys,

Happy Thanksgiving...

Many thanks for the previous info on low voltage cabling! So I was about to get ready to start getting things going when I ran into a site called Smarthome. I was browsing around and started to think about using a small rack in my closet instead of the in-wall Leviton I had bought.

I don't mind not having things inside of a wall, and would rather have a shelf or two to put the router, modem, etc. on that I can see if needed rather than inside a closed panel.

Also, I could have a more robust patch panel if I go that route...

So are there any popular rack mount solutions for a home? In other words not super expensive but are still quality products.

I found a Middle Atlantic solution:
Slim 5 Series 19" Equipment Racks
http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/knock/slim5.htm

~$235 for a 36" one so not super expensive but not cheap. Would still need a couple shelves, etc. Could add wood panels on the sides I guess.

http://www.smarthome.com/8741S521/Slim-5-Rack-21-high-40-5-Inches/p.aspx

I'm thinking about a 24" or 36" option. I'd just have an electrician put a new outlet behind where the rack would go instead of any integrated strip...and would just use a TrippLite or similar for the items.

Any other residential rack solutions for home...and on a home budget?

Thanks

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Look at a 4 post rack, then you can always build around it if you want it enclosed.

I got lucky and got this one (It's a Belkin) on sale at NCIX a year or so ago. The nice thing with 4 post racks is they come in a much smaller box so the shipping wont kill you as bad.

drunkgamer

Apr 21, 2008
Look at a 4 post rack, then you can always build around it if you want it enclosed.

Thanks for the advice. I did look at 4 post racks - and need to look some more - but the problem I have is that I only can go about 23" in depth as this is going into a normal residential wardrobe closet.

It will mostly just contain a patch panel and a shelf with switch, router, modem. Later I'll have a shelf with security DVR and satelite SWM, and eventually either a NAS or server if it's less than 20" or so in depth.

That is why I was leaning towards the Middle Atlantic Slim 5 series rack. I can't quite tell (because of my ignorance) if that rack is industry standard in terms of specs so that I can mount anything meant for a universal rack.

I will look at some 2 post racks that I can mount to the back of the closet, but I'm not sure what I'd be gaining as the Slim 5 Series is 20" deep so I can't gain much more than that...

Unless someone here knows of any other 4 post racks that can expand or collapse...down to 21-22". Most traditional 4 post racks seems to require at least 30" of depth.

RedCOMET

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2002
You could always get away with a wall mount rack cabinet/frame which should fit in the depth that you described. Mount the rack someplace in the closet and then you can utilize the lower half of the closet for your other gear that may not be rack mount friendly.

drunkgamer

Apr 21, 2008
You could always get away with a wall mount rack cabinet/frame which should fit in the depth that you described. Mount the rack someplace in the closet and then you can utilize the lower half of the closet for your other gear that may not be rack mount friendly.

Yeah I'm now starting to look at those as options too I guess.

Any particular brand known for being good wall-mount rack units?

Many also seem to be small (8U or 11U). I'm hoping to get closer to 20U although truthfully, I can have any shelf below to hold items that do not require a true rack...

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Actually is this mostly for network stuff? A 2 post may even work for you as long as you don't need to mount anything that has rails and is back heavy. The wall mount one would work too.

drunkgamer

Apr 21, 2008
Actually is this mostly for network stuff? A 2 post may even work for you as long as you don't need to mount anything that has rails and is back heavy. The wall mount one would work too.

Yes, it's mostly all for data comm. However, since I'm going this route - I'd like to have the option of some real rack-mounted devices. Potentially a slim server without a deep profile, etc.

But yes I'm looking at both wall and 2 post racks now. I guess it's clear there are no 'popular' choices for these since they are not very mainstream purchases - so I just need to find something that fits my needs and hope for the best! :)