Simple question about thermal compounds...

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
I dont tend to worry about these minutia when thinking about a build, but now that im doing it...well, i do wonder. Im doing a 1366/920 build with a TRUE cooler and plan to OC. Should i use my old AS 5, or the compound that came with the cooler? I have fucked up with coolers (compounds and lapping) in the past and everything came out ok, but i would like to avoid the wonder *before* acting with this build.

Cliffs:
New build with 1366/920 (planned OC) with TRUE.
Use AS 5 or the thermal compound that came with cooler?

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
Just use whatever you're comfortable with. I tend to just use what I already have sitting around so I'd say you take the AS5.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
use the one that came with the TRUE. in benchmarks thermalright's chill factor 2 (which comes with the TRUE) benches lower temps than AS5. hell, the 2 old ass tubes of chill factor 1 i got with my 2 IFX chipset coolers yesterday bench about the same without even mixing them, which they both could use. alternatively, AS5 will still do a good job, but the chill factor is an exceptional paste. with my friend's i7 + lapped TRUE he gets 55c load at 3.7ghz @ 1.36vcore under OCCT linX v3.

the thing to consider is that the base on the TRUE is HORRIBLE with the factory job. if you are looking for something to just slap on and fire up i wouldnt recommend the TRUE. factory lapped it performs more in the ballpark of a $35-45 cooler instead of the $60-75 i see it selling for most places. if you are planning o spending that much i would highly recommend looking for a place that has the prolimatech megahalems in stock. the cooler performs "on par" with the TRUE (within .5c in most tests), and the mounting mechanism on it is the best one on the market you can get, bar milling your own mechanism yourself specifically for your cooler. i have seen the performance of the TRUE, and while it's insane, the thing was also a BITCH to mount onto my buddies i7. had to remove the CPU latch bracket so the backplate for it would fit, since all i7 chip holders use a backplate, and the bolts didnt reach all the way through to the mounting points with it on.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Thanks for the replies.

About the TRUE. I read lots of good things and just went with it not thinking too much. In fact, i had a megahalem in my hand at the the same time. If i dont get decent chilling then i will look into your recommendations faxon. Mounting the TRUE was not a problem at all (i have the ex58-UD4P).

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
you must have really tiny hands then. the board i mounted this on was an EX58-UD5 lol