Simple Opinion: Do you think that imacs start to smell like burning plastic after a few years of 24/7 operation?

GD695372

Oct 24, 2000
We have imacs at school, and the older they get, the more and more they seem to smell like burning plastic. The oldest ones(from 2 years ago) smell real bad. Last year's imacs smell pretty bad too, and the new ones are starting to. I was wondering if anyone else has ever noticed this.

On another note, anyone ever see an imac shutdown all of a sudden(noo apparent trigger event)? This has happened to me several times soo far. I'll be browsing the web or working on a paper of some sort, and the imac will just shutdown all of a sudden. I've also noticed that they lock up a lot(to the point where the power button doesn't work), and I can still somehow move the mouse around. Anyone know why? Is the ps spec really integrated that extensively with the software. I was also wondering if anyone else has ever had the urge to gaft one of those heatsinks. I have to admit that the idea is quite tempting(my p2-300 klamaths would run great with heatsinks like those and noo fans). Oh yeah, and why does apple brag about passive cooling when they're using such heatsinks?

urbantechie

Banned
Jun 28, 2000

<< Oh yeah, and why does apple brag about passive cooling when they're using such heatsinks? >>

Passive cooling is just a heat sink and a external (IE not a fan attached to the heatsink) blowing on it.