simple network questions

zerocool1

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
femaven.blogspot.com
FYI the network I am talking about is for a fraternity house, its used mostly for aim, e-mail, web browsing, and gaming.

1) Ok would windows 2003 do packet shaping?
2) What are the advantages of using a layer 2 switch as a opposed to a layer 3 switch on a network with 50 computers? I am asking performance-wise.
3) For a network of the above mentioned size, would it be worthwhile using a managed switch?
4) What version of windows 2003 would you recommend using for a network of this nature?
5) Is there any linux type application such as active directory that would work on windows computers aside from Novell Netware?
6) Is it possible to configure an Airport without a Mac?

randal

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2001
1. No
2. The L3 switch could do some QoS for you, but switching for 50 comps is just switching - l3/l2 won't matter really
3. I would use a managed switch, but of course I'm a network nazi and take a lot of pleasure from shutting off other people's ports.
4. Why are you using win2k3 again? Are you running a domain or hosting anything of any size? If not, you don't need it, so don't spend the money.
5. Not really - Samba v4 is supposed to be able to be an AD server, but that's still in alpha land as far as I know
6. Yes - http://freebase.sourceforge.net/

If you're concerned about latency, download speeds and such, I personally suggest using FreeBSD or Linux to do your packet shaping for you, especially if you're on a budget. The cost of a good managed L3 switch will be considerably more than the cost of a really low-end box that, although cheap, will meet your packet shaping, file server/storage and basic hosting needs.

$.02
randal

zerocool1

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
femaven.blogspot.com
Originally posted by: randal
1. No
2. The L3 switch could do some QoS for you, but switching for 50 comps is just switching - l3/l2 won't matter really
3. I would use a managed switch, but of course I'm a network nazi and take a lot of pleasure from shutting off other people's ports.
4. Why are you using win2k3 again? Are you running a domain or hosting anything of any size? If not, you don't need it, so don't spend the money.
5. Not really - Samba v4 is supposed to be able to be an AD server, but that's still in alpha land as far as I know
6. Yes - http://freebase.sourceforge.net/

If you're concerned about latency, download speeds and such, I personally suggest using FreeBSD or Linux to do your packet shaping for you, especially if you're on a budget. The cost of a good managed L3 switch will be considerably more than the cost of a really low-end box that, although cheap, will meet your packet shaping, file server/storage and basic hosting needs.

$.02
randal
I'm running AD and a domain. I'm mostly concerned about latency.