Simple HTML/Javascript WYSIWYG Editor

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Any one out there know of a good WYSIWYG editor to put on a webpage that doesnt have too much int he way of special features? All i want users to have is Bold, Italic, underline, link and bullet. If it can be appended on to a textbox even better. The cleaner the HTML it outputs the better.

Any recommendations?

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
On the site itself? I think it's called tinyMCE or something like that. If you really want to know, install Joomla and check the config settings in the admin panel, it has two editors listed that you can use.

Not much help, but I'm not too sure.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
You know you can mod the config of fck to limit the available editor options. It's fairly easy to do.

Whitedog

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Originally posted by: Drakkon
All i want users to have is Bold, Italic, underline, link and bullet. If it can be appended on to a textbox even better. The cleaner the HTML it outputs the better.

Any recommendations?

Well, that's only what - a half dozen HTML tags to learn how to use. Just use notepad. It'll be a learning experience.

This is Bold = This is <b>Bold</b>

This is Italic = This is <i>Italic</i>

This is Underline = This is <u>Underline</u>

Anandtech dot com = <a href="http://www.anandtech.com">Anandtech dot com</a>

This is a bullet ? = This is a Bullet & #149; (with no space between the & and the #)

Easy enough, aye?

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
No fckeditor?

I use it all the time and honestly, I think it's great.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Whitedog
All i want users to have is Bold, Italic, underline, link and bullet. If it can be appended on to a textbox even better. The cleaner the HTML it outputs the better.

Any recommendations?

Well, that's only what - a half dozen HTML tags to learn how to use. Just use notepad. It'll be a learning experience.

This is Bold = This is <b>Bold</b>

This is Italic = This is <i>Italic</i>

This is Underline = This is <u>Underline</u>

Anandtech dot com = <a href="http://www.anandtech.com">Anandtech dot com</a>

This is a bullet ? = This is a Bullet & #149; (with no space between the & and the #)

Easy enough, aye?

I think you missed the point. He doesn't want his users to have to know or use html tags. Some of these people are probably still confused about not finding the "any" key on their keyboard. ;)

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: jjones
I think you missed the point. He doesn't want his users to have to know or use html tags. Some of these people are probably still confused about not finding the "any" key on their keyboard. ;)
Hey now I'm dealing with college professors - they are lucky if they know the difference between "keyboard" and their "computer" ;)

not using any drupal or any CMS, just straight HTML/Javascript - found widgEditor and that seems to be fairly bare bones.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: jjones
Hey now I'm dealing with college professors - they are lucky if they know the difference between "keyboard" and their "computer" ;)

not using any drupal or any CMS, just straight HTML/Javascript - found widgEditor and that seems to be fairly bare bones.
Hey, that's pretty nice. Looks clean and simple. I've got an application where I've been considering using something like this or a pared down fck but it's been on the back burner for a few weeks. When I get to it I'm definately going to check this out.

BadRobot

May 25, 2007
That any key is an elusive bastard, its been 10 years since I've heard of it and I've yet to find this mythical key...