SimCity 5 closed beta 2 this weekend!

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Has anyone lost a saved city yet? I am expecting this to happen that why I am using the less busy servers. Even though I can get into both US servers just fine.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Get better friends then.

Catering for the lowest common denominator sucks balls. Theres no reason to limit everyone because a few peoples computers are crap. In previous simcity games poor people could build smaller cities, simple as that. Its what i did with my rather lacking at the time 1.7ghz willamette P4 comp.

THIS!

I support these type of 'microtransactions'.

'We regret to inform you that your machine is too slow to support expansion of your city. Please upgrade and you may continue to expand'

I would love to see the city size diagrams on EA to illistrate how different configurations support bigger cities.

P4 - pop 2,000
C2D/Phx2 - pop 50,000
C2Q/PhII quad pop 100,000
i5/i7 quad/hexacore - pop 1,000,000 :D

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
THIS!

'We regret to inform you that your machine is too slow to support expansion of your city. Please upgrade and you may continue to expand'

I would love to see the city size diagrams on EA to illistrate how different configurations support bigger cities.

P4 - pop 2,000
C2D/Phx2 - pop 50,000

I disagree not everyone can afford a powerful computer some people have to live with what they have for now.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I disagree not everyone can afford a powerful computer some people have to live with what they have for now.

So why cant they live with a smaller city and people with better comps can live with a bigger one?

Why does everyone have to adhere to the lowest common denominator, sounds rather communist. In soviet russia city builds you :whiste:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
So why cant they live with a smaller city and people with better comps can live with a bigger one?

Why does everyone have to adhere to the lowest common denominator, sounds rather communist. In soviet russia city builds you :whiste:

Because the lowest common denominator makes more money, and EA is run by shareholders who have little interest beyond making money.

Just look at EA's lineup. Everything they make is designed for the lowest common denominator, and every company they buy is forced in that direction as well. Just look at Mass Effect and Dead Space.

Ubisoft does the same. The latest Splinter Cell game has effectively turned the series into a cover-based shooter. I remember back when if a bad guy with a gun so much as got a good look at Sam, you were fucked. :p

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001

If you can't afford a better computer you just play with a smaller city, it isn't taking anything away from you if you can't run the large city but can still run a smaller one. But it does take away from others that can run the large city but are stuck with only the small one.

It is simply a bad decision and there is no reason to defend it. We get it, you seem to have a major hard on for this game from what I've seen of you posts, but stop white knight'n it and look at other perspectives.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Threads m-m-m-merged!

Anandtech Moderator
KeithTalent

Scooby Doo

Golden Member
Sep 1, 2006
THIS!

P4 - pop 2,000
C2D/Phx2 - pop 50,000

Don't forget to get the latest DLC that lets you expand

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Well, the game has crashed on me 3 times now in a few hours. Not really sure what the problem is as the other 50 installed never had an issue.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Based on the CPU usage from the betas my guess is adding more city space is going to be hard. The simulation engine they are using is single threaded so they are leaving at least 2 cores unused and that means 1/3 the city size. But in addition they seem to be leaving some clock speed as well to focus on lower speed machines, the combination of which means maybe 4x is possible. Is a doubling in both directions really worth it commercially? I doubt it.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Has anyone lost a saved city yet? I am expecting this to happen that why I am using the less busy servers. Even though I can get into both US servers just fine.

I can't save cities. Played for maybe 30mins, quit, come back and it's gone. I can't delete my old regions that magically appeared getting me excited to think that one of them saved, just to find them completely empty.

Then I couldn't create a city, it just sat there at claiming.

Now I can't connect because it tells me my network is disconnected.

I think I'm going to ask for a refund!