Question SIlent Wooden PC Case project

sotirakis1992

Jan 12, 2020
betandslots.com
Hello, I was thinking of making a plywood heavy pc case with 2 14mm fans at the bottom and the same exhaust fans at the top only. no overclock, not something extreme but i am not sure if it is going to wrok properly. Also I am planning to attach the hard-drivers and ssd on wood using bolts on an 45 angle. is this ok? Have anyone did this? I have seen some youtube videos but still not sure

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
If you have seen youtube videos that show it's possible, why are you asking here? Google "wood computer case" and you will get 683 million hits.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Yes its possible...
The hardest thing will be probably getting the mother board to mount properly, for pci-e cards.
Some people build it around a test bench to mediate this issue and simplify things.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
As has been said, you can do it,but is it really worth your time? I mean a wooden case will have horrible EMI filtering meaning you may have all kinds of noise from audio/video nearby. It will be either a real pain to deal with PCIe cards or will have large gaps in the case meaning easy transmission of sound from the inside of the case to the outside (as well as dust and insect access). I just don’t see the benefit unless you are simply looking for some project to do while at home.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
One of the issues with building a case that is not conductive is grounding. Without a solid ground plain, you can end up with poor grounding, and ground loops. So if the case is wooden, I still suggest a steel/aluminum backplate that the mobo, PSU, and PCI-E cards mount too.