Silent, small HTPC case, sans optical and HDD

Discussion in 'Cases & Cooling' started by Keylimesoda, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Keylimesoda

Keylimesoda Member

I'm looking to rebuild my gaming/HTPC. I need a case that is either small, or at least looks good in my component stack (my current Antec Solo fails both criteria).
    The PC only has a few key components:
    - Core i5 2500
    - AMD 6870
    - 400W PSU
    - mini ITX Mobo
    - 64GB SSD
    I don't need a full HDD bay, I don't need an optical bay.
    I need small/stylish, silent, good airflow, and room for the GPU and a largish CPU cooler.

2. MrK6

MrK6 Diamond Member

3. teh impaler

teh impaler Junior Member

4. Keylimesoda

Keylimesoda Member

Seems like you could make a case even smaller by removing those big drive bays and putting the power supply in that position.

I haven't seen any reviews yet talking about the noise from the Fractal? Is it comparable to classics like the Antec Solo?

5. MrK6

MrK6 Diamond Member

Without a doubt. The Silverstone SG08 and definitely the SG05 are both much smaller, but they are configured for slim optical drives. If you don't mind having the empty bay, something else to thing about.
    Seems pretty quiet: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6470/...tx-case-review-paving-the-way-to-the-future/5

6. kleinkinstein

kleinkinstein Senior member

All these Node recommendations is not surprising, not in the least. But also Lian-Li PCQ16, Q25 Or the Q07 and Q11 and do what I do. Use the 5.25" bay for a display.

7. charlywiggin

charlywiggin Member

I just bought the Q11, its bigger than I expected.....or as wide as my midtower ATX....

8. MrK6

MrK6 Diamond Member

I had a V351 for awhile and I've worked with a Q08 and my biggest complaint about Lian-Li microATX and miniITX cases is that they aren't efficiently designed for space-optimization. The concepts are good in theory, but there's wasted space/areas that make the overall volume much bigger than necessary IMO. I've since favored Silverstone cases for mini-ITX builds.

9. Fallen Kell

Fallen Kell Diamond Member

All I have to say is look at this pic and make sure you have a power supply that would work for the Fractal Node304:

[​IMG]