Silent (Or Very Quiet) Video Card for High Resolutions

citsacras

Mar 21, 2003
I'm upgrading my whole system and I was wondering if there are any better video card choices for me right now. After years of jet-turbine 3D cards in my systems, I finally crossed over into the passively cooled camp. I'm sure some cards have quieter fans than others, but with a passive heatsink, it's never a problem.

Currently I have a 9600GT with an Accelero cooler on my 2ghz Opteron on socket 939. However, I'm waiting for the USB guy to bring me a new motherboard and E8600.

Should I stick with the 9600GT or upgrade video cards? Is there anything better that is silent or at least very quiet? For gaming I like to use my 26" 1920x1200 LCD at native resolution.

Low power consumption is also a big plus.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Heh, high-end videocards, quietness, and low power consumption don't mix. It's inpossible, performance means more power is needed, more power translates into more heat, and there ya have it, another jet-turbine. I think your best bet is a HD4870 with an accelero on it. I don't think any of the nvidia videocards have aftermarket coolers yet. The gtx260 and gtx280 that is.

Or go watercooling all the way ! Woosh, that be nice and quiet for sure. Passive is pretty much a no go though on high-end videocards.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
Heh, high-end videocards, quietness, and low power consumption don't mix. It's inpossible, performance means more power is needed, more power translates into more heat, and there ya have it, another jet-turbine. I think your best bet is a HD4870 with an accelero on it. I don't think any of the nvidia videocards have aftermarket coolers yet. The gtx260 and gtx280 that is.

Or go watercooling all the way ! Woosh, that be nice and quiet for sure. Passive is pretty much a no go though on high-end videocards.

Accelero S1 rev2 on my 4850 is passive and has better temps than stock. I have descent case airflow, but nothing exceptional.

citsacras

Mar 21, 2003
HI think your best bet is a HD4870 with an accelero on it. I don't think any of the nvidia videocards have aftermarket coolers yet.

I thought I had heard some users had problems with Accelero coolers and the 4850... Is an Accelero enough to passively cool a 4870? Currently my 9600GT stays relatively cool in an old Lian-Li PC60 with poor airflow, but I am upgrading to a newer Lancool case with three 120mm fans.

Does anyone have any experience using a 4870 w/ Accelero in a well ventilated case?

Should I just stick with my passive 9600GT until a new generation of cards comes out?

I heard there is a new 55nm Nvidia part due out soon. Are there any sites reviewing power consumption and heat generated of this new part yet?

Thanks in Advance for all the feedback.

<3 anandtech

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: citsacras
HI think your best bet is a HD4870 with an accelero on it. I don't think any of the nvidia videocards have aftermarket coolers yet.

I thought I had heard some users had problems with Accelero coolers and the 4850... Is an Accelero enough to passively cool a 4870? Currently my 9600GT stays relatively cool in an old Lian-Li PC60 with poor airflow, but I am upgrading to a newer Lancool case with three 120mm fans.

Does anyone have any experience using a 4870 w/ Accelero in a well ventilated case?

Should I just stick with my passive 9600GT until a new generation of cards comes out?

I heard there is a new 55nm Nvidia part due out soon. Are there any sites reviewing power consumption and heat generated of this new part yet?

Thanks in Advance for all the feedback.

<3 anandtech

You'd probably need a fan module if you want to have a passively cooled 4870. The 4850 can be cooled below stock temps easily with the Accelero S1, rev2 though.