Silent disco weddings

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Never heard of them before but we're doing wedding photography for one this summer. Seems like it would be a bit weird - oddly quiet for those not wearing headphones aside from the noises of people dancing to music you can't hear.

Also what happens on the dance floor if people are trying to slow dance to music on channel one while other people are trying to grind to some rap song on channel two?

https://www.brides.com/story/wedding-reception-trend-silent-disco

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
The only sensible answer is the chicken dance on repeat, with a conga line to close the event.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I've started to see more of these silent discos at public spaces as an alternative to basically live music, requiring permits, equipment, etc. I'm sure they are fun/entertaining to those who are participating, but god you look so stupid for anyone else.

Also, one of my key reasons for going to concerts etc is to actually feel the music, which you're just not going to get with a pair of headphones.

I'd never do something like this for a wedding. Does a bride really want the photos of her wedding to be with everyone wearing bulky headphones and everyone else not wearing them to look utterly confused?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Why would the people not wearing them be utterly confused? Wouldn't all the guests be made aware of what the headphones are for?

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Why would the people not wearing them be utterly confused? Wouldn't all the guests be made aware of what the headphones are for?
I mean, yes they understand the point but you can't hear any music, so it basically looks like people dancing to nothing.