Signal/Coverage Reduced after flashing DD-WRT !

Discussion in 'Networking' started by varunmehta11, Nov 8, 2012.

1. varunmehta11

varunmehta11 Member

I've flashed DD-WRT v24-sp2(19519) in my Dlink DIR-600 H/W: B2 Wifi Router..
    Ever since then I've noticed a reduction in Coverage/Signal strength as compared to the Dlink factory Firmware..
    Am i missing some settings in DD-WRT to be made so that the Coverage/Signal strength gets increased atleast upto the earlier level(When i had Dlink firmware) ??

2. xylem

xylem Senior member

3. varunmehta11

varunmehta11 Member

The Default Transmit Power is 71mW.. Is it too high or low??
    By the way, i had replaced the stock 2db antenna with an 8db antennae.. So do i have to change any settings for the new antenna ??

#3 varunmehta11, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  4. JackMDS

JackMDS Super Moderator<BR>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

I would not go with more than 71mW. In matter of fact try to reduce to 60mW it might that 71mW generated high Noise and the Signal to Noise Ratio is off.

Changing Antenna does not need special setting.

Otherwise if there is No real reason (i.e., need for special feature) revert back to the stock firmware.

:cool:

5. AnonymouseUser

AnonymouseUser Diamond Member

Try different TX power to see what works best: 28mW, 42mW, 56mW, 70mW, 84mW. You really shouldn't go higher than 84mW unless you know what you're doing as it could overheat and shorten the life of the unit. If there is no noticeable difference between those power settings, set it to 42mW and leave it.

Also be sure you're set to 40MHz Channel Width.

6. JackMDS

JackMDS Super Moderator<BR>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

The 84mW max. is more a matter of physical/electronically protecting the device.

Devices that were Not engineered for High Signal output tend to Amp. the noise together with the Signal. Device with (example) 50mW output and low SNR will function better than devices with 84mW (or more) if the the SNR of the higher out put is off.

The average End-Users Wireless is designed and works at about 33-40mW, the sweet spot of many of them End-Users is about 60mW.

:cool:

#6 JackMDS, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  7. varunmehta11

varunmehta11 Member

I've tried varies Transmit Values ,but still the coverage is lower compared to Dlink Stock Firmware..
    The only reason I'm using DD-WRT is that i wanted to create another Guest Wifi Network with restrictions of Download and Upload Bandwidth, which is not possible in Stock Dlink Firmware..