Sign Petition against Ashcroft

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999

<< Thats just like this crazy theory the democrats have that the public should be able to decide who should be president. What a ridicoulous idea. >>

Once again, it is not the responsibility of the AG to legislate the law of the land--that's what we have a congress for. Your attempt at a parallel is meaningless and meritless. Think for yourself, look at facts, then provide an informed opinion and you won't sound like such a helpless little lamb.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
why would Bush listen to what a bunch of dems think?

Uh, because he's a uniter,not a devider?

Hehehe;)

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'mTyping, you ignorant fool, Gov. George Wallace was a DEMOCRAT.

Pres. Dwight D. Eisenhower was a Republican, are you trying to say that he was for Hitler? Your drivel is just showing how truely ignorant of politics and history you truely are.

I have not put words into your mouth as you allege. I have only said what you did say in a previous thread was ignorant and stupid and ill-advised for my familys situation. It was.

Send in your silly little petition. It is the Senate who will vote on Ashcrofts nomination.

ManSnake

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
It is the Senate who will vote on Ashcrofts nomination.

Senate is now divided evenly, if partisan politics come into play, then you can say bye to Ashcroft! Hehehe

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
Thanks I'm Typing. An important issue, and I'm glad to sign it. It's suprising how many smart, conservative people around where I live dislike him as well.

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999

<< &quot;He is an unashamed champion of the right to life...Simply put, Mr. Ashcroft is a man of impeccable integrity. He is an honorable, decent creature of God...&quot; >>

<< The position of Attorney General demands that the person who fills it be beyond reproach: a person of integrity and good judgment. >>

I guess it is all in who you ask, hmmm?

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
RasPUtin, your claim of &quot;It's suprising how many smart, conservative people around where I live dislike him as well&quot; is not really all that clever.

It's suprising how many smart, liberal people around where I live happen to be pedophiles. What is also suprising is the stupid, liberal people around where I live are not pedophiles. Are you smart or stupid?

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
Corn whines and cries from across the playground:

<< Are you smart or stupid? >>

Lol. Corn, you are such an angry person it's hilarious. Get a thicker skin. You'll live longer and have a lower blood pressure. Taking even my personal observation as a directed insult is very pathetic and unbecoming of you. BTW the name is a play on words. PM me if this continues to bother you and we'll discuss it.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yahoo News

Mansnake, study up on your politcs a little more.

If there is a tie vote, it would be broken by Republican Dick Cheney (news - web sites), set to be sworn in on Jan. 20 as vice president.

``Regrettably, the radical left is trumping up false claims of racism,'' said Beverly LaHaye of Concerned Women for America.

In addition, a few crime victims joined Sen. Jon Kyl, an Arizona Republican, at a Capitol Hill news conference to salute Ashcroft for having long sought a constitutional amendment to provide rights to crime victims.

Among those set to testify are Missouri Supreme Court Justice Ronnie White, an African-American denied a spot on the federal bench largely because of Ashcroft.

Ashcroft helped lead the opposition to Senate confirmation of White, branding the jurist soft on crime.

Ashcroft was particularly upset by White's opposition to the death sentence for a mass murderer who White argued was mentally disturbed and inadequately represented at trial.

Senate Republicans have said if White does testify, they may counter by calling the relatives of some of those killed by the mass murderer.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
I don't see how making fun of you and your juvenile debate tactics can be constured as &quot;angry&quot; and &quot;whining&quot;. Care to elaborate?

[edit] Insulted? Moi? LMAO!!

*Corn dangles straw just out of reach of Grasputin*
Get it, get the straw!!! Jump for it!!!!

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
Corn, simple. It was an observation I made, not some &quot;debate tactic.&quot; I was talking about the people in my neighborhood, hence the part &quot;where I live.&quot; If your paranoia continues to fester, PM me and we can discuss it.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
SENATE RECORD VOTE ANALYSIS
106th Congress
1st Session
October 5, 1999, 2:17 p.m.
Page S- 11919 Temp. Record
Vote No. 307
  • Justice White, during his tenure on the Missouri Supreme Court, has made a number of pro-criminal rulings that have led to strong, bipartisan opposition from the law enforcement community to his appointment to the Federal bench. If he were confirmed, he would have authority to make habeas rulings that would unilaterally throw out the convictions of heinous criminals. Our colleagues' charges of racism in this vote are baseless and an insult to us and to the law enforcement officials who have also opposed his confirmation. The President and our Democratic colleagues have insisted on this vote; they have left us with no choice but to vote against confirmation.

More than 70 percent of all elected officials in Missouri, including sheriffs, are Democrats. Seventy-seven of 114 of Missouri's sheriffs, including many Democrats, have written us in opposition to Justice White's confirmation. The Missouri Federation of Police Chiefs and the National Sheriffs Association also are against confirmation. It is unprecedented to have this kind of opposition from law enforcement officials, including elected officials from both parties, to a nominee for the Federal bench.

Law enforcement officials have cited specific cases that they believe disqualify Justice White from serving, including cases in which he has shown leniency for cop killers and drug felons. Some Senators have suggested that his record on death penalty cases is not out of the ordinary because other members of the Missouri Supreme Court have opposed the imposition of the death penalty more times than he has. That statistic ignores the fact that those members have served on the Missouri Supreme Court for much longer periods of time. During the time that Justice White has served, he clearly has had the most anti-death penalty, pro-criminal record of any of the Missouri justices. For instance, in one death penalty case in which he was the sole dissenting voice he argued for leniency for a cowardly cop killer who ambushed and murdered several law enforcement officials and their family members in a small town. He shot some of them through the windows of their homes; he shot one deputy in the back and then, once he saw that the deputy was helpless on the ground, approached and shot him point-blank in the forehead. In another capital case he was the only justice to favor giving a brutal murderer and rapist a new trial, which he argued was justified based on the novel theory that the presiding judge was obviously racist because he opposed affirmative action and had switched political parties.

Law enforcement officials have cited other cases besides death penalty cases that show that this nominee has a dangerously pro-criminal bias. For instance, he was the sole dissent in the case of Missouri v. Damask. In that case, the Missouri State police had set up a sign on a highway that said that there was a drug checkpoint ahead. They put that sign right before an exit ramp that ordinarily only local residents would use because it did not lead to any gas stations, restaurants, hotels, or other major roadways. It was a strictly local exit ramp for residents of the area. Officers then stopped vehicles that took that ramp and asked their drivers why they had exited. If their answers were suitably suspicious their vehicles were searched. The program was very successful, netting numerous drug arrests. Justice White, though, ignoring established precedents on the fourth amendment, decided that he thought the process was unconstitutional because it seemed intimidating to him.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Wow, that explanation made all the difference, please, can you ever forgive this gross transgression I've made?

Paranoid of what exactly?

MrPALCO

Banned
Nov 14, 1999
The Ashcroft nomination reinforces and reminds us of the following:

1. Conservatives have taken back the Government of the United States of America, this was done lawfully and it was ours to take.
2. The Cabinet of the President will carry out the will of the President. The desire of the vanquished defeated party... notwithstanding.
3. The President will carry out the will of the people that voted for him.
4. People that did not vote for him, give thanks, the group that has taken power is interested in your peaceful life, however, power will not be put into your hands.
5. We expect strong resistance as we fix the mess left by our predicessor, and we like a challenge.
6. We do not see this as the finish line, but the starting line.
7. With Gods help, we will stand up for the Constitution of the United States of America with great resolve, vigor and strength. And will will treat the vanquished parties with .....civility and grace. But do not expect to have your efforts to destabilize, celebrated.

:)

I'm Typing

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
eretch, you jackass, Liberals KNOW that Wallace was a democrat. Unlike you kowtowing mindless sheep, we can actually think for ourselves and dislike/disown the seedier members of &quot;our&quot; party. We can also like/support members from the Republican party.

Considering the political climate of the times, you should KNOW why Wallace was a Democrat. But you don't understand that do you? Quite frankly, if you were politically astute, you would be making up your own reasons for your positions, instead of repeating the same things that Rush or G. Gordon Liddy say.

I happen to THINK, for example, that Sen. McCain is a good man, that Christine Todd Whitman is an great politician, and that Colin Powell deserves to be in the White House more than any of the people who ran for the job this year. I also happen to THINK that people like you would consider Jesus Christ himself to be a bad guy, if he were a registered Democrat.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Im Smoking Crack, tell me why Wallace was a Dem. I want to her you TRY to explain something you know nothing about.

I'm Typing

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wallace was a Democrat, because Lincoln was a Republican.
Any other questions?
Or was that explanation too complex for you?

MrPALCO

Banned
Nov 14, 1999

<< Jesus Christ himself to be a bad guy, if he were a registered Democrat. >>

Somehow my imagination won't allow me to see Jesus........ as a part of a group that supports abortion.

:)

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Damn you were wrong! It had nothing to do with Lincoln or the Civil War. It had to do with the Great Depression. Do you actually live here fool or are you just pulling stuff out of your ass?