Sign of the Beast

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
FT reports today that:
UK companies look to make Covid-19 vaccinations mandatory.

Do you think this can happen in the US or Canada?

Legally, I understand companies can do it for anyone who has to come into the office — and they should, at least so long as there are remote work options available when it's feasible.

It's a basic workplace safety issue, much like companies make you wear protective gear or handle dangerous chemicals/equipment in a certain way. Companies can't knowingly put employees at risk, and with COVID-19 around you put people at risk by... well, putting them near other people.

If they were barred from making vaccines mandatory, I could easily see some people suing their employers when they get a serious bout of COVID-19. The sort of person who wants to work in person without getting vaccinated is also the type that tends to blame everyone but themselves for their problems.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Actually, I think it was goat herders, that is to say people who were nobodies, who had no sense they were destined for anything special who were more likely than most living today to to gaze up at the stars at night and become suddenly aware that their awareness and the awareness of the universe was one and the same thing, that the love of all and everything is the joy of being. Could it be that the smarter you are or think you are, then, is really the more you have to unlearn before you can see?
I know disease is not caused by demons or the failure to worship a deity.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I believe I have heard their complaints already. Chief among them being "my body my choice".
That's the furthest stretch to #whataboutism I've seen.
Someone having an abortion (or not) isn't going to infect their coworker with a potentially deadly virus.
Not even near the same field, fucko.
No, it's just going to kill a child.
Way to derail, moron. Just shut the fuck up if you can't stay on topic.
A bit of over reaction on your part don't you think?
Nope, not at all. Thread topic is vaccinations being required. Not abortion.
Nothing but more #whataboutism and distraction to derail it to another topic.

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I know disease is not caused by demons or the failure to worship a deity.
Just for the fun of it, let me disagree. If you believed that disease is caused by demons or the failure to worship a deity and you actively denied that demons exist or practiced heresy, you could potentially come down with some psychosomatic illness. Sadly, however, since I suspect your a guy possibly covered with hair and not a pretty young miss, I can't offer you a sure cure for such problems in the form of Dr. Moonbeam's White Root Injection.

Feb 4, 2009
Legally, I understand companies can do it for anyone who has to come into the office — and they should, at least so long as there are remote work options available when it's feasible.

It's a basic workplace safety issue, much like companies make you wear protective gear or handle dangerous chemicals/equipment in a certain way. Companies can't knowingly put employees at risk, and with COVID-19 around you put people at risk by... well, putting them near other people.

If they were barred from making vaccines mandatory, I could easily see some people suing their employers when they get a serious bout of COVID-19. The sort of person who wants to work in person without getting vaccinated is also the type that tends to blame everyone but themselves for their problems.

Massachusetts Governor gave a gentle reminder during a press conference a few months ago.
He said something like “In Mass it is legal for an employer to ask for proof of vaccination”
I took that as him saying hey guys don’t come whining to me if you lose or get turned away from a job if you are an anti vax dummy.

Reactions: Pohemi

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Thread title, sarcasm not withstanding, is the worst. Stop mocking the Abrahamic religions followers, they are too deluded to understand, and will pick up the derp ball and run with it.

• Haha

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I think Trump republicans want it and want it very much. Problem is, they can’t figure out a way to cut in line. They watch the old people getting it and the most vulnerable getting the vaccine, but how are they to get the shot if they are not old or sickly or a person in congress or a celebrity? So the best a republican can do is to pretend that they don’t want it. I can tell. In all reality, those opposed to the vaccine would love the peace of mind having been vaccinated. They pretend the Covid is fake or won’t harm them, but then here comes that doubt, that doubt that maybe Covid is real and it was Trump who was the fake? It’s hilarious when a republican Trumpie or Trumpie Q questions what they should believe verses what they have believed. Covid is fake, or is it? I can’t catch the Covid, or can I? I can go anywhere I want and take all the risks I want, or should I ??? You have to remember, Trumpies are weak, they are woosies, they believe in conspiracies and the boogeyman. They fear dark corners and what is under their bed. They can’t tell what they believe unless someone else tells them what to believe. Simple minds vulnerable to fakes and con artists. They want that vaccine, oh yeah they want it but how can they get it without acting like they don’t want it? I know.... pretend the government will force them to get vaccinated. Pretend it as some dark devious government conspiracy, then.... be the first in line for your shot.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
It's funny, the least vaccinated places in the country can not be described as "libertarian" but are places like Portland and the county I live in, Boulder CO

My experience living in Boulder keeps me grounded as a centrist.

Nutty evangelicals down south in the Springs
Nutty hippies up north in Boulder

Go Broncos

Reactions: Meghan54 and Zorba

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
it can be, to my admittedly amateur knowledge employers can ask to see vaccination cards. This dates back to small pox days.
I know states (not sure how many) allow proof of vaccination as a job requirement. Again dates back to small pox days.
DOL has already stated businesses can make it mandatory. I'm sure medical will just like all other Vaccines.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
No, it's just going to kill a child.
If a pregnant woman attempts suicide and lives, should she be charged with attempted murder?

If a pregnant woman attempts suicide and the fetus dies, should she be charged with murder?

Fuck right off with your dogshit tier reasoning. I'm sure it'd work great with your Q Cuck Klan buddies, but it isn't going to work over here.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
As much as I dont like it, yeah I believe they can. Its already been shown companies can dictate what happens in our personal lives (social media, use of drugs or alcohol, etc). Its a huge overstep but thats the world we live in.

• Haha
Mar 11, 2004
Someone wanna explain to Jackasslass that diseases are deadly? Sure, they're not as much these days what with vaccines, but isn't that literally the fucking thing he's arguing against?

He seems to be making a serious go at someonesmindy's reign as undisputed king dumbshit of AT.

Last edited:
Reactions: MtnMan and Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Its a huge overstep but thats the world we live in.
A huge overstep is your dumbass walking around, coughing and breathing your viral shedding on everyone around you, infecting and possibly endangering their safety and lives.

Fuck off, shithead.

Reactions: MtnMan
Feb 4, 2009
A huge overstep is your dumbass walking around, coughing and breathing your viral shedding on everyone around you, infecting and possibly endangering their safety and lives.

Fuck off, shithead.

he has a point and enforced vaccinations by an employer is about as far as I am willing to go.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
he has a point and enforced vaccinations by an employer is about as far as I am willing to go.
Where's the line drawn, then?

Will you demand the right to buy a plane ticket to travel, after refusing to be vaccinated due to "personal liberties" which is basically another way of saying, "fuck you, I do whud I whant!" ?

If you want to refuse vaccination out of stubbornness and some misguided personal freedumb notion, then you can stay the fuck home and not expose anybody ELSE to your stupidity.

Want to rejoin society in a somewhat normal manner? Get vaccinated.

Edit: I do see the issue with forcing pretty much anything medical on people, but if/when the alternative is endangering everyone else around you...I have a hard time thinking it's ok to simply leave the decision to the general public and individuals, especially with the climate of the (idiot) populace in our country right now.

What % of the US still thinks it's all fake? I bet it's >20%...you can't reason with stupid.

Last edited:
Reactions: darkswordsman17
Feb 4, 2009
Where's the line drawn, then?

Will you demand the right to buy a plane ticket to travel, after refusing to be vaccinated due to "personal liberties" which is basically another way of saying, "fuck you, I do whud I whant!" ?

If you want to refuse vaccination out of stubbornness and some misguided personal freedumb notion, then you can stay the fuck home and not expose anybody ELSE to your stupidity.

Want to rejoin society in a somewhat normal manner? Get vaccinated.

The line is around employers forcing vaccination.