Sign a petition to air Top Gear in America

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Well, as we all know, lots and lots of people in America, many on these forums, enjoy the humor and wit of the British car show Top Gear, as well as the cars and so on. But we've been forced to download the show (albeit from a very fast and awesome DeviousTrap server :beer::D), but the ultimate awesomeness would be to get it on TV here. And so, an internet petition has been made.

The way this will work is that many many signatures will be collected. At the moment when I signed it, there were just under 900 signatures. This petition started in the afternoon on the 4th of january. That means in a little over a day 900 people have signed a petition to bring it over. If we can keep this up, we'll have a great number soon enough.

The plan is to get ~10,000 signatures, and then print it out, sending it to the network (in this case BBC America), as well as the show's producers. So, without further ado, here's the link to the petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/OT12eek3/petition.html

In addition, BBC America has a "Request a Program" page where one can request shows from the conventional BBC networks to be aired in America, which can be found here:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/abou...ntactus_suggestion.jsp

Cheers :heart:

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: NutBucket
I think the second one will accomplish more but I did both anyway.

Imagine you're a station manager, and one day in the mail you get a box with a stack of papers with signatures on them, signatures ten thousand strong, all asking for one show to be aired on one of your stations. It would be pretty hard to turn that down, no? It's already got 900 signatures in a day, and at this rate it'll be had in a few weeks. :)

Dec 27, 2001
We Americans don't get that refined British humor.

*insert clip of bobbies chasing a burgler in and out of numerous doorways with kazoo music playing in the background*

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Phoenix86
Have *any* of these internet petitions ever changed anything?

Sending a message directly to BBCA can accomplish something, however.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Originally posted by: Phoenix86
Have *any* of these internet petitions ever changed anything?

Sending a message directly to BBCA can accomplish something, however.

Which is what I elected to do. That's the form *they* want to recieve requests, not an internet petition. I'm just curious if anything like petitiononline has ever actually convinced a company to change.

VWhed

Jan 23, 2004
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

*insert clip of bobbies chasing a burgler in and out of numerous doorways with kazoo music playing in the background*

sounds like bennie hill to me....

anyways, I'm signature number 866, only 9134 more needed.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Actually, after 10k, if everyone prints it out and mails it in, that will have an enormous effect

Maybe we all should highlight our name on it and mail it in once we get 10k

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Man we all know how useful online petitions are

It's based on what you do with it. As it is, a Top Gear executive's probably not going to be browsing Petition Online, but the originator of this petition plans to print out/mail and email this to the BBC (he's from OffTopic.com and there is a thread there also).

Besides, it can't hurt, and all you have to do is enter your "name" and "email", and press a button. Takes about ten seconds if you type quick.

jurzdevil

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2002

i seriously read that as"insert clip of boobies chasing a burger in and out of numerous doorways with kazoo music playing in the background"

Skiguy411

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: jurzdevil

i seriously read that as"insert clip of boobies chasing a burger in and out of numerous doorways with kazoo music playing in the background"

Wow, I read it like that too. We need to get our minds out the gutter!

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Skiguy411

3rd ... what the hell is wrong with me....

signed both btw

txxxx

Golden Member
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: halik
Originally posted by: Skiguy411

3rd ... what the hell is wrong with me....

signed both btw

4th...