*sigh* water damage. Need help

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Couple of days ago, my daughter spilled water into her computer -- just a little, but a little is all it takes.

I know the HDD is OK as I pulled it and plugged it into my PC and it fired up just fine. I ordered a replacement MB and got that in yesterday.

Moved everything over and used some brand new RAM that I had laying around (may as well upgrade her to 8GB while I'm at it) as well so the only remaining parts at this point are really the CPU and the PSU.

Loaded everything in the case except HDD and DVD powered it on and no post or beeps. Case and CPU fan spun up just fine. Pulled everything out of the case and tried powering up outside the case and the same results.

Thoughts? CPU dead ya think?

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
I thought of that as well, but in the past when I've had a bad PSU, the fans don't even spin. It's just "dead".

Can a PSU be bad and still deliver juice to power fans/LEDs?

Yep, if it isn't delivering the proper voltage to the CPU 12V plug then that can happen.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I've dealt with completely flooded out computers once, I mean they were fully submerged in ground water while still powered on.

Every stick of ram, every cpu, still worked after they dried out. Nothing else was salvageable other than the cases, but the cpus and ram all worked. They survive being drowned. CPUs were a mix between Athlon 64's and Pentium 4's, so both intel & amd. And memory was a mix between ddr1 & ddr2, various brands.

While I cannot rule out the cpu being bad in your situation, the culprit is far more likely the power supply.

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I've dealt with completely flooded out computers once, I mean they were fully submerged in ground water while they were still powered on.

Every stick of ram, every cpu, still worked after they dried out. Nothing else was salvageable other than the cases, but the cpus and ram all worked. They survive being drowned.

The culprit is most likely the power supply.

:thumbsup:
Thanks for the info. I will have to scrounge up a replacement PSU and test it out I guess.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Have a 240W Dell PSU laying round. Plugged it in (including 4pin to MB) and still same thing. :(

I do have a 430W Corsair on the way too. But figured I'd give the spare Dell one a shot.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I guess it could be BIOS not supporting CPU (A10-5800)
MB is a refurbished MSI FM2‑A75MA‑E35

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Plugged in a new PSU (430W Corsair)
Same crap.
At this point, everything is new outside of the CPU.

If I take the HS/Fan off the CPU and boot up, everything still reacts the same -- fans spin up (including CPU fan) and with a finger on the CPU it gets warm.

I don't get it at this point at all.

Last edited: