*sigh* Red light on 360 AC adapter.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
If I plug in my AC adapter the light will turn red immediately. If I try to power on the 360 it RROD's on me. Once the light turns amber (usually after I plug it in repeatedly) the 360 will work fine and I can play for hours on end.

Today was the first time I couldn't get the adapter to turn amber. Even with it disconnected from the back of the 360, it turns on red. I've emailed MS tech support already, but does this mean my XBOX will have to be mailed back in, or is it an AC adapter problem?

Thread moved to correct forum. -Anandtech Moderator DrPizza

S

SlitheryDee

Some adapters have a fuse that you can replace. I'd check that first. If not I'd probably go ahead and buy an adapter to try in the hopes of saving myself from dealing with a warranty department.

I sent my wii back when it stopped powering on and nintendo sent it right back to me...with nothing but a new power adapter and minus the $90 check I sent for an out of warranty repair. I dunno what power adapters cost, but it can't be $90. From now on I'm always going to try a new power adapter on my own before sending any system in for repair when it seems even remotely likely that it might fix the problem. That's just me though...

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
That's weird, but it sounds like the Xbox 360 is the problem. You never know, though. You'll probably want to test it out. Either try your AC adapter on another Xbox 360, or try someone else's adapter on your own 360.

My AC adapter died once, but what happened was it just shut off one day and wouldn't turn back on. No lights at all, on either the Xbox or the adapter. Tested with another adapter and it started right up. So in your case, it sounds like the Xbox probably is at fault, or possibly both.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
That's weird, but it sounds like the Xbox 360 is the problem. You never know, though. You'll probably want to test it out. Either try your AC adapter on another Xbox 360, or try someone else's adapter on your own 360.

My AC adapter died once, but what happened was it just shut off one day and wouldn't turn back on. No lights at all, on either the Xbox or the adapter. Tested with another adapter and it started right up. So in your case, it sounds like the Xbox probably is at fault, or possibly both.

It rrod'd one time. Since then the xbox doesn't power on with the AC adapter until I can get an amber light. It's been on for the last couple of hours with no issue...yet.

EDIT: It is on a UPS with a dead battery that I've been using as an AC power strip. I am going to purchase a new UPS tomorrow. Might be a power problem from that item.

tyler811

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Hmmm thread is still here. Thought for for sure it might relocate to a new neighborhood.

Ohh and yes sounds like the power adaptor

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Try plugging in the adapter into a different wall outlet in your house without the 360 connected to it at all. It should still be amber. If it's not amber, it's definitely the adapter and you can rule out any other possibilities.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
RRoD indicates a 'general hardware failure', but that doesn't necessarily mean the problem is with the 360 itself. If the PSU is showing red before the 360 is even brought into the equation, than that points to being a PSU problem. My RRoD was 360 only, and the PSU stayed yellow throughout the whole thing.