::sigh:: Just got Adelphia Power Link installed

kendogg

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Quick overview of how it went.

-Ordered on Tuesday June 26, 2001, Came today @ 10:15am
-Install took about 30-45 minutes, charge was $99.90
-Everything went pretty smooth.

Prior to the install or actually when I called to order powerlink the sales rep told me that the downstream would be 1.5-2 mbps and 128k downstream. I am experiencing a mere 386 downstream and about 128k up.

Is there any possible way I can voice my opinion to these people? I am paying 50 bux for this sh!tty connection. I am not anywhere near satisfied with the speeds. My cs pings are POS, I get a few 70-90 and the rest are well over 100+.

When I had mediaone (AT&T) I had a ton of servers that i pinged 20-50. This connection costed me 40/month. It was a true 1.5 down and 30KB up.

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
Oh wait, its gonna get better. Your cable will go down for hours, sometimes days at a time, with nobody knowing what is wrong, or how to fix it. Then when you call, they will refer you to the 800 number. They will then put you on hold for two, maybe three hours with messages saying how they are experiencing high call volume. Then when they finally get to you, they will tell you its your computer, not on their end. Then all of a sudden, it works again. And pings below 100 are few and far between. Usually its around 120-180, and sometimes up to 4 or 5 hundred. So I wish you better luck than I have, its the only cable provider here though. :(

CarpeDeo

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2000
Make sure your MTU, TTL, and RWIN settings are optimal (by default- they're set for modem speeds).

kendogg

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
OH NO!!!

hey I dont really believe in optimal settings.. Even if my MTU or whatever setting is on the best I dont think it will give me a miracle and let me dl at speeds at 1.5mbps .. blah blah..

myputer

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2001

<< Oh wait, its gonna get better. Your cable will go down for hours, sometimes days at a time, with nobody knowing what is wrong, or how to fix it. Then when you call, they will refer you to the 800 number. They will then put you on hold for two, maybe three hours with messages saying how they are experiencing high call volume. Then when they finally get to you, they will tell you its your computer, not on their end. Then all of a sudden, it works again. And pings below 100 are few and far between. Usually its around 120-180, and sometimes up to 4 or 5 hundred. So I wish you better luck than I have, its the only cable provider here though. :( >>

Here is an example for you

My cable went out, I was online one minute, down the next. So they came to my house, changed my modem, and my card. Screwed around for over 3 hours and still couldn't get me online. They told me it was my end, I had to reformat. So I did, and I still couldn't get online. I had to call the 800 number and I was on the phone for 3 hours, when i was put on hold for the 15th time and I was waiting for the tech to come back to the phone, my cable mysteriously started working again. Good luck with yours!

HansXP

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2001
Yeah, Adelphia bites. My modem will often cut out at random, requiring a reset. Sometimes it can go days without a reset, sometimes only minutes. And then there are times when my Internet connection dies *just* long enough that AIM and MSNm disconnect, and all downloads/uploads are lost. Oh, and the tech support is great too. They take SEVEN days to respond to email, and their responses are usually &quot;Yes, we're having problems, they will be fixed at some point.&quot; (they didn't just do that once, but about five times now).

They're the only broadband ISP here in Burlington, VT, so I have to live with them :(

EDIT: My download speeds usually never go over 100 KBps, although this morning I was d/l'ing at 255 KBps. My upload speed is capped at around 15-20 KBps. My pings range from 50ms to 500ms depending on Adelphia's &quot;mood&quot;

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
ATT Broadband is the same way. On two or three occasions my connection went down. Called them up on both occasions and they said my modem was bad and that they have to send someone out to replace it. Later that day, it starts working again. They actually call me to see how my service is doing. I say it was down earlier, but is working now. They say, &quot;Would you like to cancel the appointment for the replacement modem?&quot; I say, &quot;No, why?&quot; They say because my service is working now. I told them that they said my modem is bad, so I want it replaced. We go back and forth for a couple of minutes. I just want to give the guy a hard time. Then I hang up and all is well again. If you can, try and get to a Network Operations guy. They'll tell you what's really going on. If you push hard enough, you can get the number. My old dial-up wouldn't log in and they said they were having problems. Pushed my way to the actual guy working on the system. He told me that he did something and wasn't aware that people couldn't log in. He thanked me a lot for it. I actually spent some of that night helping him configuring the system.

HansXP

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2001

<< Pushed my way to the actual guy working on the system. He told me that he did something and wasn't aware that people couldn't log in. He thanked me a lot for it. I actually spent some of that night helping him configuring the system. >>

I think the problem with Adelphia is that they have a few monkees running the system.

HansXP

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2001

<< No problems with my DSL.

Get DSL.
>>

1) Not available here
2) Probably would have worse service than Adelphia if it was here. Been reading CNET lately? Half the DSL providers have gone down the drain.

Goldfish

Platinum Member
Jun 10, 2001

<< 2) Probably would have worse service than Adelphia if it was here. Been reading CNET lately? Half the DSL providers have gone down the drain. >>

Probably because half the DSL &quot;providers&quot; just resell the area's main ISP's services. Here I can get Verzion, QX.Net, Earthlink, and a couple other local things, but all of it is just reselling Verizon's services.

They have to charge more because they have to turn a profit, therfore they have less customers, make less money, and get drowned out.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
That's why I went with Qwest for my DSL. It has worked flawlessly from day one, with no outages.

CarpeDeo

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2000
You don't believe that changing your RWIN settings is gonna change your speeds? Do this experiment- set your RWIN to something looow- like 16. Tell me what kind of speeds you get. Then set it high, to 32768 . . . and you'll see an incredible difference. Maybe your RWIN setting is already high enough, but otherwise, you're sending small fragmented packets rather than what broadband is capable of.

My speed went from 300 kbps to 1.2 mbps by changing my RWIN settings. When the DSL installation guy came over, he was wondering why my DSL was so slow until I tweaked it. He was surprised that such a small change could make a huge difference.

HansXP

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2001
What about if you're on an internal network? Should you still change that setting? Thanks.

kendogg

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Ok how exactly do I change my RWIN setting etc? I would like to know how this is exactly done

Thanks..

kendogg

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Can all of us adelphia members voice our opinion through email to get some things changed?

cs was one of my kick back games to play for entertainment but I dont enjoy the game as much because of the tremendous lag.

kendogg

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
the only provider seems to be through pacbell here in Fullerton. As for Pacbell I have also heard of many horror stories, but I already called them and they said I am well over 14,000 feet away from the centeral office.

HansXP

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2001

<< Can all of us adelphia members voice our opinion through email to get some things changed?

cs was one of my kick back games to play for entertainment but I dont enjoy the game as much because of the tremendous lag.
>>

Adelphia doesn't seem to listen to customers very often. The only way to &quot;voice your opinion&quot; is to leave their service. Which is exactly what I plan to do if something else becomes available here.