Sigh...I just can't get used to how FUGLY VBscript code is

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
I'm trying to get back into my scripting abilities and I'm brushing up on ASP. Well I have found out that Javascript support is next to nothing on all the demos I've seen, it's all VBScript.

Compared to C++ VBScript is FUGLY. I don't want to hae to learn new syntax again. C++ is so easy why do they have to make it more confusing with VBScript? Especially their complex data type syntaxes (like for arrays, etc.).

I wish there was a way I could just program ASP in C++ :(

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
vb(script) is to c++ as windows XP is to linux. oversimplified for the common idiot...*sigh* :frown:

nd

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
My advice? Screw ASP, go with PHP. The syntax is much more similar to C compared to VBS.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
uhh
last time I checked the PHP implementation on NT was shall we say less than perfect

and ASP has a huge support base whereas PHP has little, and mainly it is centered around UNIX geeks.

nd

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< uhh
last time I checked the PHP implementation on NT was shall we say less than perfect

and ASP has a huge support base whereas PHP has little, and mainly it is centered around UNIX geeks.
>>

I've never used PHP on NT, so I don't really know.. all I know is that it is ported. I don't know what you mean about the ASP support base. If anything, I'd guess PHP has a much larger support community. Go to php.net and see for yourself.

And finally, what's wrong with being UNIX-centric? People choose UNIX for a reason, not just to be geeky. Why are you constraining yourself to NT in the first place?

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
&quot;Linux is only free if you time has no value&quot; <-- true quote by some famous IT guy

Unfortunately NT is the platform of choice for most small businesses. Most of the Linux/UNIX base are engineering firms and enterprises.

I'm workin for a small business so NT is all I have to work with.

And I did play with PHP for a while, and while it was good the NT implementation at the time (two years ago) was buggy.

nd

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's true that Linux/UNIX has a learning curve. I can understand that it's costly in ways to spend time learning it. In my opinion, however, it's time well spent. In the long run you'll likely save time if you know what you're doing. I'm much more efficient in UNIX than I ever could be in Windows.

To each his own.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

<< vb(script) is to c++ as windows XP is to linux. oversimplified for the common idiot...*sigh* >>

Umm.... you're kidding, right?

I'm willing to bet you know probably very little vb at all? The same could be said about Java. Java is cakewalk compared to C++. C++ is cakewalk compared to asm. MASM is cakewalk compared to &quot;pure&quot; asm.

The syntax of a given language is in no way indicative of it's power. If I built a CLIPPER clone that was syntactically synonymous w/ C++/Java, would you like it then? Eiffel is a beautiful language, but oh, the syntax is too lucid compared to C++.

<< I wish there was a way I could just program ASP in C++ >>

You can brother! You can wait for .NET whereby you can program against the CLR using C++ with &quot;managed extensions&quot;, or you can pick up C#. You have to remember, ASP is only an isapi extension, and the core objects are simply COM objects that you can use in any other language that supports COM.

[edit]Note, that many languages have ugly syntax, Perl being the most notable. I was intimidated by Perl simply because of how fugly it &quot;looked.&quot; Well, as w/ most everything in life, looks aren't all that matters. Once you begin to think in the context of the language you're working w/, it's all immaterial. There are many people who think C++ is ugly (and, quite simply, it is, but that's not the point), but it becomes less so when you become well versed in it. Just choose the write tool for the job, and throw the dogma aside :)[/edit]