SIG SAUER - Gives you $200 "CASH For your KLUNKER* Handgun"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Decided to keep your old gas guzzler for another couple of years? Unhappy with the government's fulfillment rate on their "Clunker" program? Doing some early Christmas shopping? Or just need to pick up a nice handgun or rifle for those zombies coming around the corner any day now?

SIG SAUER - Gives you $200 "CASH For your KLUNKER* Handgun"

Purchase a new SIG SAUER® P220®, P226®, P229®, 1911, SIG556 pistol, or SIG556 rifle from your dealer's inventory from September 7th through November 30th, 2009, and SIG SAUER will give you $200.00 for your old KLUNKER* pistol or revolver.

To receive your $200.00 payment, simply send your old KLUNKER* with a copy of your form 4473 and proof of purchase of your new Classic pistol ( no later than Friday, December 4, 2009) to:

SIG SAUER, Inc., 18 Industrial Drive, Exeter, NH 03833, ATTN: CK-1

*KLUNKER refers to a handgun from any manufacturer that you wish to trade in for the $200.00 payment. Gun must be operational and free from cracks in frame or other key components. KLUNKER must be a semi-auto pistol 9mm or larger, or revolver of .38 caliber or larger. SIG SAUER reserves the right to reject any firearm submitted as a KLUNKER that does not meet our criteria. Rejected firearms will be returned to sender. Please allow six (6) to eight (8) weeks for delivery of your check. This offer cannot be combined with any other program or offer.

Klunkers will not be accepted for payment after Friday, December 4, 2009. NO EXCEPTIONS.

All transactions subject to federal, state and local firearms regulations.

It will likely be cheaper for your firearms dealer to ship your old firearm to Sig Sauer for you, rather than doing it yourself.

Sig Sauer Cash for Klunkers Promotion

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
Unless you had some astonishingly old, crappy gun that was worth nothing, I cannot possibly see how you would come out ahead on this. Once you factor in the thirty bucks it would cost you to mail the gun to Sig-Sauer, you're down to $170... maybe a really busted up Hi-Point or some no-name crime gun?

I also notice that the P250 isn't in the deal. Not cool, Sig-Sauer, not cool.

gucio69

Jun 2, 2001
Originally posted by: erwos

I also notice that the P250 isn't in the deal. Not cool, Sig-Sauer, not cool.

Good point, that's the only handgun I'd consider getting from them. I had sig P226 and it was a big headache. Considering the wealth of choices out there I won't be giving them a second chance anytime soon.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Ahh .38 or larger? Dad has an old 22 revolver I would take 200 dollars for anyday of the week.

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
Originally posted by: gucio69
I had sig P226 and it was a big headache. Considering the wealth of choices out there I won't be giving them a second chance anytime soon.

I've considered buying the P226, and it's generally considered a fine pistol. This isn't a weapons forum, but if you'd care to share some of your opinions, they would be much appreciated.

Eric62

Apr 17, 2008
I have a 25 year old RG Model 31 .38 special 2" snubbie (accurate to 5 feet - LOL) I'd gladly trade in for $200 credit towards a new SIG 1911 - Except the hassles involved and the possibility that my Klunker would be rejected make it more trouble than it's worth.
The car clunker deal went through a local dealer who then waited for the government reimbursement. If SIG set it up the same way I'd be in...

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I prefer 3rd generation S&Ws but I have put over 1000 rounds through several P229 SAS Gen 2 in 9mm and .40 S&W and found them to be outstanding concealed carry weapons. The SAS Gen 2 P229 is a bit expensive but the custom dehorning makes for a variety of easy, snag free carrys.

I haven't shot them but the compact 1911s also look pretty nice if you are old school (like me!)

If you are exploring gas piston operated .556 rifles, the SIG556 series offers some great options.

The deal is somewhat a marketing gimmick as you are likely to get more $ for a good quality used weapon than $200 (or $170 after shipping.) Still, if you like and can afford SIGs and have some beater pistol or revolver laying around in your gun safe, then it makes sense to take advantage of the offer.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Lots of gun dealers will ship it to them free if you agree to purchase a gun from the within a certain time frame. Could be a good deal if you are already in the market for a new handgun in that case.

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Winterpool
I had sig P226 and it was a big headache. Considering the wealth of choices out there I won't be giving them a second chance anytime soon.

I've considered buying the P226, and it's generally considered a fine pistol. This isn't a weapons forum, but if you'd care to share some of your opinions, they would be much appreciated.
I own a 226, and love it. Not sure why anyone would consider it a headache.

Mac

Oct 31, 1999

Good point, that's the only handgun I'd consider getting from them. I had sig P226 and it was a big headache. Considering the wealth of choices out there I won't be giving them a second chance anytime soon.

This smacks of a troll. The P226 is a standard issue firearm by both law enforcement agencies and the military. You don't get that business if your weapon is a "big headache".

I have a P226 that was given to me by my brother-in-law, is a retired police officer. I wouldn't say the P226 as my favorite handgun (Split personality - give me a M1911A or Glock 23) but I would have no qualms having this as my only firearm to protect my home and family. The P226 is that good.

Imyourzero

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Correct; the P226 is by all accounts an extremely proven pistol. I don't own one, but I own a P220 which has been rock solid and have spent enough time on gun forums to know that a malfunctioning P226 is a rarity. I personally think SIGs are a bit overpriced but they do make accurate, reliable pistols and I'd like to add a P229 in .40 to my collection eventually.

Even the best gun manufacturers will have an occasional lemon. Glock and HK are known for their dead-nuts reliability but you just can't expect that every single gun that rolls off of the assembly line will be immune to malfunctions. What ammo were you using? More details are needed. I don't doubt that you had issues, but are you certain it was the pistol's fault? Did you send the gun to SIG so that they could attempt to rectify the problem, or did you just sell it and write them off?

I can make an analogy by mentioning Honda and Toyota, who are historically known for producing high quality cars. Most people associate them with reliability and consistent quality control. However, my girlfriend bought an Accord brand new several years ago and it needed a transmission replacement at only 4,000 miles. We acknowledged it as an isolated incident and I don't think either of us vowed to avoid Honda automobiles afterwards, because we knew s#!t can happen and that the odds were very much in favor of something like that NOT happening. Same applies to the P226. I don't doubt that there is a group of SIG owners out there having issues with their pistols, but the vast majority are more than satisfied and quite a few choose to own more than one because they had such a positive experience with their first SIG firearm.

I'm no SIG diehard or fanboy. All I'm saying is that MOST owners are typically very happy with their purchase and experience very few, if any malfunctions. It's extremely rare to encounter someone who says that their P226 was a "big headache." The Mosquito however just might be another animal, as it's the only SIG that I've witnessed to have a largely negative repuatation.

slashbinslashbash

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
Happy P226 owner here. I bought mine used for around $500 (not hard to find a refurb'd P22X at a gunshow for $500, so even if you have a crappy old gun then this promotion is of dubious value IMO). Never a single failure of any kind from my P226 after around 2000 rounds.

I had a Mosquito (purchased brand new) and sold it. If you're buying a .22LR semiauto pistol then stick with one of the tried and true choices like the Browning or Ruger. .22LR is just such a fussy cartridge for a semiauto, and it is the rare Mosquito that will work reliably with anything other than CCI Mini-Mag ammo, which is on the high end price-wise for .22LR. Plus it's got a crappy trigger. My Ruger Mark III shoots bulk pack Remington or Federal ammo all day with no problems. I do want to try out the .22LR conversion for my P226 however.

Status
Not open for further replies.