SiDock challenge, February 3–10

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I had been doing SiDock as a personal goal, switched away from it yesterday only to find we have lost our 1st place Formula BOINC marathon position. So now I am back on it.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
so far they were able to create enough work, only yesterday there was a gap of an hour.

And the server is a bit weak, but the project is at over 20 TeraFLOPS now.
Global PPD on Feb 3/ 4/ 5/ 6 according to BOINCstats: 160/ 170/ 180/ 190 M

This is up from 130…140 M PPD during the two weeks prior, and 80…110 M PPD another two weeks before. (BOINCstats lastDays)

One user reports about file transfer problems.

At some point, the RxDock applications was discontinued for all platforms except OS X, despite the RxDock workqueue still being fed. The Linux application version of RxDock is re-enabled now.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I had been doing SiDock as a personal goal, switched away from it yesterday only to find we have lost our 1st place Formula BOINC marathon position. So now I am back on it.

I'm in now too.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I ran SiDock until recently. But I desire a work buffer of ~0.4 days, because this is about the period at which I can intervene if my cable connection acts up, or if the project has got issues.

SiDock still has got a limit on tasks in progress of 2 per active logical CPU, counting up to at most 64 CPUs. It is possible to work around this server-enforced limit, such that even my 88-thread and 128-thread computers can have a 0.4 days deep work buffer. (Most who read this know the details how I work around it.) The weakness of this workaround though is that a 0%-resource-share backup project no longer works as designed.

There are other Covid fighting projects, and I am now running one which
– does never run out of work during random nights,
– supports a reasonable amount of work in progress per CPU.​
When the current SiDock contest is over, I'll go check how work demand and supply at SiDock develops and probably ask the admins at the SiDock message board what their plans regarding the above two bullet points are.

Reactions: crashtech

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Well, the SiDock admins are extra cautious with #tasks/CPU and with the reporting deadline. And of course, we know the scum who we can thank for this.