Sick of school

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Sigh. . . 4 pages into a 15 page literature review. Got my bachelor's other year now working on Master's (mainly to not have to pay back student loans yet) . . . cause I can't find a 'good job'. . . .

Arghhh.. .

Ok there is my rant . . . It is my first here . .. .Promise not to do it too often.

jayXTP

Banned
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: buyer262000
Sigh. . . 4 pages into a 15 page literature review. Got my bachelor's other year now working on Master's (mainly to not have to pay back student loans yet) . . . cause I can't find a 'good job'. . . .

Arghhh.. .

Ok there is my rant . . . It is my first here . .. .Promise not to do it too often.

WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR?

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Undergraduate was MIS (Management Information Systems). I switched my major to Public Administration for graduate school to move away from technology since that 'sector' is hard to get a job in these days. I also did an internship for a large insurance company doing MIS work, specifically web development. Not to mention I had a 3.7 average in college.

Tried unsucessfully to become employed in networking for over two years. I kept up with about 2 or three friends graduating with me in 2001, and one is a secretary now, another is an assistant manager of a Pizza place, and another is a car salesman.

Myself, I'm now a dispatcher for a police agency.

During school and after I had got a few certs for the resume, A+, CCNA, Network+, Server+ to name the ones I actually tested for.

To make matters worse I am a non-traditional student who went to school to make 'life better' for me and my kid (single dad). . . and now I'm just deep in debt doing a job I could've got without any school. I was seriously hoping I could make at least 35 a year out of school and unfortuantly I'm 14 shy of that still. I didn't just go to school and party. It took me from 1995 to 2001 to get my bachelor's working full-time, going to school evenings and days off.

My undergraduate minor was English, and since I was excellent in that I am hoping to pursue grant writing for public agencies.

Don't have alot of cash reserves, so I can't lope across country chasing jobs (I did for a few) but at hundreds of dollars for plane tickets, cash goes fast. Also, since I had to job hop alot while going to school due to mainly places that I worked at would "get a manager that would work with me for a while on my schedule, then get another that suddenly would become unflexible mid-semester". I placed school first and would leave the company and find another job. Now when I fill out an employment application it is extremely diffcult to detail all the jobs I've had and reasons for leaving and the nature of it taking so many years to get my degree. . . Sigh. It's like I'm being punished for doing what was always pounded into my head as the smart thing to do.

Ok, here is a more cognizant rant for those naysayers that thought I could not rant better. . .

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001
Undergraduate was MIS (Management Information Systems). I switched my major to Public Administration for graduate school to move away from technology since that 'sector' is hard to get a job in these days. I also did an internship for a large insurance company doing MIS work, specifically web development. Not to mention I had a 3.7 average in college.

Tried unsucessfully to become employed in networking for over two years. I kept up with about 2 or three friends graduating with me in 2001, and one is a secretary now, another is an assistant manager of a Pizza place, and another is a car salesman.

During school and after I had got a few certs for the resume, A+, CCNA, Network+, Server+ to name the ones I actually tested for.

To make matters worse I am a non-traditional student who went to school to make 'life better' for me and my kid (single dad). . . and now I'm just deep in debt doing a job I could've got without any school. I was seriously hoping I could make at least 35 a year out of school and unfortuantly I'm 14 shy of that still. I didn't just go to school and party. It took me from 1995 to 2001 to get my bachelor's working full-time, going to school evenings and days off.

My undergraduate minor was English, and since I was excellent in that I am hoping to pursue grant writing for public agencies.

Don't have alot of cash reserves, so I can't lope across country chasing jobs (I did for a few) but at hundreds of dollars for plane tickets, cash goes fast. Also, since I had to job hop alot while going to school due to mainly places that I worked at would "get a manager that would work with me for a while on my schedule, then get another that suddenly would become unflexible mid-semester". I placed school first and would leave the company and find another job. Now when I fill out an employment application it is extremely diffcult to detail all the jobs I've had and reasons for leaving and the nature of it taking so many years to get my degree. . . Sigh. It's like I'm being punished for doing what was always pounded into my head as the smart thing to do.

Ok, here is a more cognizant rant for those naysayers that thought I could not rant better. . .

omg... cliff notes

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: EngenZerO

omg... cliff notes

made sense to me....

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001
Originally posted by: acemcmac
Originally posted by: EngenZerO

omg... cliff notes

made sense to me....

its too much too read for us undergrad college students, ;)

my mind wont start working till Monday the 29

jayXTP

Banned
Sep 27, 2003

That's rough. I hope everything works out for the better for you.