Shuttle XPC Opinions

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
Hey guys, I've got a decent offer from a friend to buy a Shuttlebox off him, but I don't have any experience with them as a product or brand and I'm a little wary of what he is claiming its capable of (not that I don't trust him, I just think he may not be as knowledgeable about the topic as he thinks).

The barebones model is a SP45H7, and he is claiming he can put a quad core 2.83-3.00GHz processor, 8GB RAM, and a high end graphics card into this thing with just the stock power and cooling that comes with it.

Here is a link to the barebones model on the website http://us.shuttle.com/barebone/Models/SP45H7.html

Does anyone have an experience with these things? From my limited knowledge, it seems like the power and cooling that comes with that wouldn't be nearly enough for what he is suggesting. I'm also skeptical about the size of it, I'm not sure theres going to be room for a powerful graphics card, DVD/Blu-Ray, HDD, etc (though the HDD and optical drives could be external I guess).

General opinions on the brand itself and the products they sell are also welcome.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
i prefer the Shuttle's that don't have the stealth drive bays. i was sold when i bought the SB51G model with a Pentium 4 3.06 (the first P4 with HT) and it was faster than my Xeon/Tyan computer, and about 1/4 the size. maybe 1/6 the weight.

it's hard to get info on the reliability.

here's a review.

http://www.sfftech.com/index.php?/articles/show/seriously_shuttle_sg45h7/P1/

i managed a 19% OC on the P4, got it up to 3.6. then it crashed from overheating ... but lived.

overall, i'd say they are VERY well engineered - in terms of packaging (mechanical engineering).

i suggest using a lower-power-consumption CPU (e.g. 9550s, if it supports it) and also buying a replacement power supply while it's available ... just in case.

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Hey guys, I've got a decent offer from a friend to buy a Shuttlebox off him, but I don't have any experience with them as a product or brand and I'm a little wary of what he is claiming its capable of (not that I don't trust him, I just think he may not be as knowledgeable about the topic as he thinks).

The barebones model is a SP45H7, and he is claiming he can put a quad core 2.83-3.00GHz processor, 8GB RAM, and a high end graphics card into this thing with just the stock power and cooling that comes with it.

Here is a link to the barebones model on the website http://us.shuttle.com/barebone/Models/SP45H7.html

Does anyone have an experience with these things? From my limited knowledge, it seems like the power and cooling that comes with that wouldn't be nearly enough for what he is suggesting. I'm also skeptical about the size of it, I'm not sure theres going to be room for a powerful graphics card, DVD/Blu-Ray, HDD, etc (though the HDD and optical drives could be external I guess).

General opinions on the brand itself and the products they sell are also welcome.

I have had several and they are very well made and reliable in my opinion. I have one that is years old and it is running as my Windows Home Server. I would however make sure to get a replacement PSU when they are available as they are the weakest link and ver propriatory.

Looked at the specs for that model and it seems like a solid design with solid caps and an 80plus certified power supply at 300 watts.

pcgeek11

Last edited:

SOSTrooper

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2001
I'm running a SP35P2 PRO 24/7 for over a year now. It's still running very solid. Though the XPC series that I have has a different cooling system and a 400W PSU. I'm running some underpowered components like Intel Pentium E5200, Radeon 4550, and WD Green HD. I do agree with the above posters, Shuttle XPCs are well engineered for the most part.

With your prospective 300W PSU in your friend's Shuttle, I'd say you can likely put in a quad core CPU along with 4850 or GTS 250 as your video card without pushing the PSU too much.