shuttle x can't see sound device or ethernet port

nordicfireman

Feb 12, 2006
ok, my buddy just bought a used shuttle x from a lan center (lanwerx) that went out of business. all the computers there were hooked up to the internet and had sound. lanwerx cleaned all the programs and stuff off the comps and sold them.

when it was taken home, the computer was plugged into the cable network, but did nothing...on closer inspection, we realized that it wasn't even detecting the ethernet adaptor. the adaptor is not in a pci slot, it's just in the back of the computer, i don't know much about these things but i guess that means it's built into the motherboard.

also, the sound wouldn't work either. the only things listed in the device manager under "sound, video and game controllers" are:

Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Video Codecs

although under "other devices" there is the "multimedia audio controller", which says

Device type: Other devices
Manufacturer: Unknown

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

when i click reinstall driver, it says "the hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software"

in all the sound property menus it just says that there's no sound device.

it seems to me like i could find and download the drivers online if i knew what the sound device was...but how can i find that out?

so, are these problems related? is there a way to fix them? any feedback would be much appreciated.

thanks!

JasonSix78

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2005
What OS is on the PC? Sounds like you need the mainboard drivers for the motherboard. Is the sound onboard or is it a PCI card? Have you tried opening up the case and find the manufacturer and model number of the mobo? SiSoft Sandra is a program you can use to get system info:
Sandra

-Jason