Shuttle SX48P2 Disaster, need help!

ShadowFlareX

May 6, 2008
Hi all,

I felt I've just had the worst day....

Long story ahead... if you don't feel like reading, please just read the last 2 paragraphs.

I have bought this Shuttle SX48P2 Deluxe along with a gigantic GTX 285 to go with it. It was a really tight fit but I managed to get it in... then I start up the machine... powering up.... 3 secs later it shutsdown.... then automaticaly powering up again... then shutsdown.. infinitely.

After inspection, to my surprise, there a DIP-8 chip knocked off its socket under the graphics card... a couple of its legs were bent.... I must've been very careless when fitting the card in in. After reading the manual, it seems to be the BIOS chip... no wonder it's been restarting like that... so the only thing to do is plug the chip back into its socket... but which way?

Went I go to check the manual to make sure which way the notch on the chip should be facing.... ok a picture of the motherboard on the manual shows how it looks like when attached.. so I insert it as on the picture. Booted up the Shuttle... and still restarting like before.... so I thought "man... what's wrong now.."

I went to check the BIOS chip again to see if didn't plugged in enough.... and to my horror... as my fingers touched the chip... it was extremely hot and I burned my fingers.... "oh what the hell??" I waited for it to cool down, made sure I re-plugged it in as on the picture.... but same thing.. restarts and the chip was burning hot like before.

So I almost gave up... when a thought crossed my mind.. "is there a chance that the picture might be wrong?" I looked throught the net and found a picture of the motherboard ( http://i.testfreaks.co.uk/imag...ima-series.1030269.jpg )... and was showing the chip being the same way. The location of the BIOS chip is on the top-left corner of the motherboard. Then another thought crossed my mind... what if I put the chip... backwards... the opposite of what's in the picture...

With a pale face... I dared myself to put it the opposite way.... then switched the Shuttle on.... eh... it didn't restart this time... huh? It powered up... everything spinning and making noises... but nothing on the screen (as if PC is still off).. keyboard and mouse didn't light up.... so PC powered on and just stay there. I'm guessing the BIOS chip is installed correctly now... but must be fried under that heat earlier.

So does this prove that Shuttle is providing an error on the picture and cost me my BIOS chip?

Could anyone who has Shuttle SX48P2 or SX38P2 or similar check how their BIOS chip is positioned? Is the notch on the Chip suppose to face like it is on the top-left corner of this picture: http://i.testfreaks.co.uk/imag...ima-series.1030269.jpg

I really need your help to check this on your Shuttle as I'm ordering a new BIOS chip and would like to install it in the right way.... providing I didn't break anything else on the motherboard.. sigh... Thank you everyone in advance.

racolvin

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2004
I have an SX38P2 at home so I can't check it right now but I'd be happy to look at it when I get home tonite

ShadowFlareX

May 6, 2008