Shut down issues..

Neos

Jul 19, 2000
Just put in a new Biostar 6100 mATX(S754) with a new Sempron 2800. Replaced an MSI (good stable board).

The MSI always had shut down probs, no matter what I did. Sometimes it would shut down all the way - sometimes re-boot. The new Biostar - so far - has shut down every time, by pressing the power button once.

Does the board, bios, chipset make a differnce - or did I just get lucky in re-installing the OS some special way?

Oh, same case, same PS.

Neos

Jul 19, 2000
bump.

Hate to bump - but I was hoping that this might be a help to someone

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Probly just a bad switch on the old mobo. But now that you have a new mobo, why'd u ask?

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Shutdown problems are usually registry related. It's possible that when you installed the new mb that windows reconfigured itself for the new board and corrected the earlier problem.

Neos

Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by: potato28
Probly just a bad switch on the old mobo. But now that you have a new mobo, why'd u ask?

Only reason was to know if this was a possibility - or if someone else had experienced the same thing.

On the MSI I had reloaded the XP Pro a number of times - due to other quirks that would develop after a few months of use. The shutdown issue with the MSI was there each time, just after the install - or many weeks later. The quirks I had attributed to malware. The shutdown issue I had attributed to - whatever, as it seemed that it was a prevalent issue with many folk.

This is not a slam on MSI - as I have used thier boards in many builds. Just decided to try the Biostar this time for it's overclocking ability.

Thanks for the reply.