Shure E2G Earbuds

chr6

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2002
would these be a poor choice for headphones for working out, walks, jogs, etc?

id probably damage them with sweat right? what would be a cheaper and more durable alternative?

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
whats the difference between the e2c and e2g? i know the e2g is for gaming, but what does that mean? i have e2c, but i don't like working out with them. it feels like sweat gets trapped between my ears.

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
I advise against sound isolation for workouts like jogging and walks. Trust me on this one. I've been jogging with my simple $20 street-style sony headphones. THey've lasted well over a year with a lot of sweat on them (I just wipe it off with a towel after running). I run everyday so that means a lot to me.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
They're better in the gym than they are on the street. A lot of people use noise-isolating IEMs (earbuds, for ignorant people :)) in the gym to block out the annoying people, but you want to be aware of your surroundings when outside.

Juice Box

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2003
I dunno, I workout with my E3gs pretty often (workout meaning, at a gym, not on the street) and they work very well, never pull out of my ears. However, you are probably best off wearing workout shorts with pockets to keep your media player in...because carrying it around is a pain in the ass

On that note...why in god's name does everybody wear workout shorts WITHOUT POCKETS?!? It makes 0 sense to me...and people are always asking me to hold their stuff while they workout because I have pockets and they don't.....ugh :p

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I have heard that Shure earbuds are not worth the money...unless you are one of these clowns I see at the gym who like to wear matching designer workout outfits, their latest iPod and Shure earbuds prominantly displayed for all the world to see.

I picked up a pair of those Sony workout headphones...they dont shift or move around during workouts, and allow me to still hear noises going on around me....plus they can take a lot of abuse, sweat and everything else in between...like getting caught out in the rain during a jog.

I mean really...does anyone actually require symphony quality sound reproduction while working out?

SKC

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2001
@Starbuck - my Shure e2cs are worth the $80 (and more) I spent on them however long ago.. and I don't wear matching designing workout outfits.

I agree with the others that while jogging outside the shures may not be ideal. I take them up when I go snowboarding, and I had stopped in the middle of a run to wait for a friend. Five minutes later this ski instructor with a group of kids is gesturing wildly at something behind me, and I think nothing of it until she points directly at me. I take off the phones and apparently my friend had been yelling at me for a while trying to catch my attention..

But yeah.
Shures - awesome. Haven't heard the super.fi or other higher end brand, but I can definitely attest to the quality of the Shures.
Workout shorts with pockets - also awesome.

edit: the e2cs have been with me everywhere. Sweat is not really an issue, unless you dunk them in .. a cup of sweat. Or something.

aceO07

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2000
They don't work too well if you're moving around a lot, they'll get loose. I have the E3c. For pure walking, it's fine.

For jogging I use the mx500. I don't have to worry about them, and as others have stated, I can hear what's going on around me.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975

I mean really...does anyone actually require symphony quality sound reproduction while working out?

Yes. I'm there for an hour and I want to enjoy it as much as possible.

thank you

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
I have heard that Shure earbuds are not worth the money...unless you are one of these clowns I see at the gym who like to wear matching designer workout outfits, their latest iPod and Shure earbuds prominantly displayed for all the world to see.

I picked up a pair of those Sony workout headphones...they dont shift or move around during workouts, and allow me to still hear noises going on around me....plus they can take a lot of abuse, sweat and everything else in between...like getting caught out in the rain during a jog.

Caution, audiophiles get crazy when you say stuff like this. Please, keep your music quality opinions to yourself and no one will be hurt. Have a nice day :)

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Aflac

Caution, audiophiles get crazy when you say stuff like this. Please, keep your music quality opinions to yourself and no one will be hurt. Have a nice day :)

Yep, I can't live without my Shures, anything lesser makes my ears bleed. Really, it happened before.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001

*realizes that aflac came to the rescue and puts his pitchfork away*

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000

Pfff....everyone has their own opinions on everything. For some reason, people just like to go against the crowd to just go against the crowd. Shure makes good headphones. Anyone who says anythign otherwise should have thier opnions revoked from all audio discussions.

As for your final question, you have a very valid point.

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
I think the E2 is almost the perfect earbud for jogging if you want isolation (using the foam tips.) The sound is a little dull but they are very comfortable and stay put (plus Shure's warranty is awesome.)

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: aceO07
They don't work too well if you're moving around a lot, they'll get loose. I have the E3c. For pure walking, it's fine.

For jogging I use the mx500. I don't have to worry about them, and as others have stated, I can hear what's going on around me.

I've owned both the E2 and E3 and I think the E2 with foam tips is more stable and comfy. If you can "hear your surroundings" with a regular earbud it probably means the volume turned up too high to compensate. So pick your poison...

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
They're better in the gym than they are on the street. A lot of people use noise-isolating IEMs (earbuds, for ignorant people :)) in the gym to block out the annoying people, but you want to be aware of your surroundings when outside.

IEMs are not earbuds.

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I don't like wearing my Shure E2c while running because the sound of my footsteps/heartbeat through the plugs can get nauseating.. that and I want to hear automobiles behind me.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Caution, audiophiles get crazy when you say stuff like this. Please, keep your music quality opinions to yourself and no one will be hurt. Have a nice day
I know, and it amuses me :D

I work at bose, so i am biased....
No highs no lows, it must be Bose :)