Shroud of the Avatar seems like a hell of a cash grab

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I back this thing but haven't played it yet.

But it just seems filled with optional and crippling things you can pay to address.

Even during development they had sales on what seems like hundreds of cash items, and 'housing plots' seemed to range from hundreds to tens of thousands of dollars.

Oh, and most had 'tax' owed on an ongoing basis.

Now I just got another mail promoting more bundles.

Things like 'viking kits' on sale ranging from $49 on sale for $40 to $149 on sale for $100.

They include your choice of one of seven potions each of which address one 'crippling' issue.

Feb 4, 2009
I backed too, it’s a okay game, not bad, not great.
The housing is completely uselss in my opinion because the plots all are due a tax and if you don’t play for a long time you’ll lose your plot. There simply are not enough players to pay real money then expect to earn in game coins to do anything with.
All the cash shop stuff doesn’t change the game in any way and I guess that is where the problem is. If I pay $125 real money for something I expect more than a potion that you can use once to unlock something plus some shaman clothing.
Again don’t let the cash shop scare you the base game plays fine, just wasn’t my type of game.

**game is very similar to Guild Wars**

Last edited:
Reactions: KMFJD

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
E-mail came out today - list of minor rewards for more spending:

• ACHIEVED $10K: Dragon Egg Decorations
  • ACHIEVED $25K: /breathefirespiral
  • ACHIEVED $35K: Dragon Skin Rugs (2 colors)
  • $50K: Dragon Dungeon Entrance Pattern
  • $65K: Dragon Bow & Dragon Plate Helm
  • $80K: Dragon Sword & Dragon Polearm
  • $90K: Dragon Mask Set (multiple color variants) with smoke VFX
  • $100K: Unique Dungeon Dragon Encounter Room

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
It's Richard Garriot. He hasnt done anything relevant in 20 years. Have no interest in this game and I'm a big Ultima fan.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Last thing LB did that was relevant was Ultima IV. Ultima V-VII (parts 1 and 2) were the work of others under his general supervision, VIII was kinda terrible (he barely touched that project, too), and IX was so messed up that it basically killed the series. And oh yeah, LB barely touched IX as well.

He did nothing for UO, and UO2 never materialized. Tabula Rasa was a mess.

So I think it's really been 34 years or so since he contributed anything beneficial to the gaming world.

I would like to see a successful reboot of the Ultima series, since I was a huge fan back in the day, but neither EA nor LB seem capable of such a thing.

Reactions: KMFJD

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Recently went F2P, reportedly low player numbers. They got a lot from the kickstarters, including me - haven't downloaded it yet.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
People wanted another Ultima game (or close as the license allows). Not some stupid half baked MMO with graphics from 2005. Garriott just doesn't get it. He hasn't for a long time.