Should you do a clean format on a new laptop

Should you do a clean format on a newly purchased laptop?

• Yes, always do a clean format to get rid of the junk

• No, just uninstall what you don't need.

• No, I love free trials and I don't know why anyone would want to uninstall them.

Results are only viewable after voting.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Amazingly enough, I came across several people who said no... apperantly it is a "noob" move by 12 year olds and we should leave things to the "pros" at companies like acer, dell and HP.

What do you think? I basically want to get a good amount of people voting so we can get a feel of what most people think is the right course of action.

I came across it here: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1837741&page=15

Last edited:

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Yes. I hate bloatware.

Generally I'll put up with it if it isn't intrusive. Stand-alone programs that are just there for you to use / try aren't a problem; programs that customize the UI (Dell's jump menu) or automatically check for updates (HP) are.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
New computers are never set up the way I like them and the bloatware usually leaves stuff behind even after you delete it.

I always reformat and reinstall any computer I acquire.

MotionMan

fffblackmage

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2007
Heh. Once I got my laptop with Vista x86 on it, I played around with it, and then went straight to reformatting with XP.

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
yes yes yes - restore the bitch. i got an hp with a virus from their factory refurb. direct from china shipment.

i was like weird i can't go to avg website. can't go to avira. wait a second. unplug. format. reload o/s and drivers - no crapware - good to go.

ReggieDunlap

Aug 25, 2009
Now a days I would have to qualify by saying if I have the FULL installation media then yes I would wipe and reinstall. But if you've only got the "Recovery Partition" with the "Factory Image" well then....I'd prolly just go right to removal and then deep cleansing. More time consuming and a hassle for sure but if I dont have the OS full install media what can you do? (besides *ahem*ACQUIRE*ahem* the media).

Dec 10, 2005
It depends what kind of restore setup the company sent you with the laptop and what's installed upfront.

My Asus laptop only had a 'recovery disc', so I couldn't do a clean format. I just uninstalled what I didn't want (which was Norton and 1 or 2 other programs).

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I always upgrade my laptop's OS. Before doing that, I uninstall all undesired apps. The result has always been top notch. The next step is to install all the apps I want, and customize things to my liking. Once that is done, I create my own backup DVD image.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
It depends what kind of restore setup the company sent you with the laptop and what's installed upfront.

My Asus laptop only had a 'recovery disc', so I couldn't do a clean format. I just uninstalled what I didn't want (which was Norton and 1 or 2 other programs).

this.

coolVariable

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Now a days I would have to qualify by saying if I have the FULL installation media then yes I would wipe and reinstall. But if you've only got the "Recovery Partition" with the "Factory Image" well then....I'd prolly just go right to removal and then deep cleansing. More time consuming and a hassle for sure but if I dont have the OS full install media what can you do? (besides *ahem*ACQUIRE*ahem* the media).

You should always go with a full installation media or *ahem*.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I power it on after receiving so I know the hardware is good, but invariably after seeing all the bloat and crap, the very next step is a reformat and reinstall of the OS from the actual OS disk. If not provided, I use another media with the key from the machine as appropriate.

Or it gets linux.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Speaking of the recovery partition:
One of my first priorities is to delete that waste of space. Followed by repartitioning into a small OS partition and a data partition before doing a clean install.

Last edited:

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Generally its not the bloatware that OEMs put on, since it is easily enough to uninstall those applications in the vast majority of cases. The typical software/image build practices used by many OEMs are somehow flawed beyond comprehension and actually introduce major dysfunction, registry or file inconsistencies. I haven't fully dissected what the hell they are doing when they create their system images or post-imaging routines because it can be pretty cryptic when the post-imaging routines delete many of the source files, scripts, and whatnot.

I don't know why Microsoft doesn't crack down on OEMs. Flawed OEM practices that impact the user experience make Microsoft look bad. Everyone thinks it must be Microsoft's product that is flawed, when in so many cases, its really piss-poor practices by the OEM breaking things.

Last edited:

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Generally its not the bloatware that OEMs put on, since it is easily enough to uninstall those applications in the vast majority of cases. The typical software/image build practices used by many OEMs are somehow flawed beyond comprehension and actually introduce major dysfunction, registry or file inconsistencies. I haven't fully dissected what the hell they are doing when they create their system images or post-imaging routines because it can be pretty cryptic when the post-imaging routines delete many of the source files, scripts, and whatnot.

I don't know why Microsoft doesn't crack down on OEMs. Flawed OEM practices that impact the user experience make Microsoft look bad. Everyone thinks it must be Microsoft's product that is flawed, when in so many cases, its really piss-poor practices by the OEM breaking things.

My understanding is that they install the OS on a machine, lets call it machine A. then they make a mirror of said machine... this is their "restore disk".. they copy this image to all new machines.
The problem is that the hardware config between machine A and all future machines is different.
I have had cases where my brand new computer, on first boot, installed drivers for 10 minutes... everything from CPU to video card to mobo components was the wrong driver. I actually looked at "deactivated" drivers and saw that the machine on which the image was originally made had older hardware that differed from my own. (check your device manager. Select "show hidden devices"... if your computer shows, for example, 2 copies of "AMD athlon II x2 @ #ghz" and when you enable "show hidden updates" you suddenly see a washed out "AMD athlon64 3400+" or some such then you know exactly which machine the original image was made on!)

Some of the better ones take a windows OEM disk and make a legitimate modified windows install disk (windows allows you to create custom installation disks. MS publishes the methods on how to do it and tools to use for it), such as integrating windows updates, integrating drivers, etc... There you STILL have major issues (I know, I used to make such disks myself and have read a lot about their use and creation)... check nliteos.com or vlite.net for tools that do most of that work for you for windows XP and vista respectively, and read the forums about some of the issues you can run into with such custom install disks. For example, you can save some space by combining CABs, but that will make your OS break when you install certain windows updates / service packs potentially released years after you have created the custom disk (happened to me personally)
Also it has been my experience that even if you follow everything that MS prescribes to the letter in creating such an OEM disk, and you do not do anything that deviates from their suggestions, you will still likely have issues.

Furthermore, they preload tons and tons of drivers; for example, HP machines come with drivers for every HP printer ever made preinstalled... which is useless to you, and just junks the machine up...

furtherfurthermore, such installations don't take into account your individual BIOS config. when you install windows from the windows CD, the settings you select in bios (ex, did you select to use S1, S3, or S1+S3 sleep mode in bios) affect the way windows install. also, this ties back into "different mobo then the one the image was made on"...

Last edited:

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
How 'bout "Depends"? From what I understand, Lenovo and Dell have become much less ridiculous which the garbage software. My Asus UL30vt, however, had an absurd amount.