Should you back up games on steam?

Artista

Jan 7, 2011
I am still fairly new to steam (old school physical media gamer here) and was looking through the steam client options.

One option is to back up games (to restore if needed later)

Should I do this?

If so do I just back up games I have started to play or all the games in my steam folder?

Do I back them up to another hard drive other than the one they are on?

(I assume this is mainly just in case your folder gets corrupted? Perhaps though in case the hard drive they are stored on crashes?)

Thank you

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
The only reason to back them up is to save you the bandwidth/time of downloading them again if you lose your entire drive. Any corruption can just be scanned and repaired on a per-file level.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I don't bother, but I also don't have a bandwidth cap. I have too many games to making backing up practical when I can't even install more then a third of the games I own.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I take it there is no known time limit to reinstall games. There will be one eventually, maybe after 10 or 15 years and the game has not support for modern operating systems.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Steam gladly sells old games that won't work in win7/win8 so I don't see that happening.

But at some point the cost of keeping the games online is going to be outweighed by the cost of storage and then they will get rid of them, maybe it will be more like 20 or 30 years as steam gets more and more games.

AlexAL

Jan 23, 2008
But at some point the cost of keeping the games online is going to be outweighed by the cost of storage and then they will get rid of them, maybe it will be more like 20 or 30 years as steam gets more and more games.

In 2-3 years a 20Gb download will be nothing.

TheKub

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001

?!?!? Becasue the cost of computing capacity gets more expensive as time goes on???

As long as they are in business I dont see them taking titles down. I could see them stop selling certain titles at some point but hosting the files for current owners would likely stay.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Just a FYI, but if you do backup the games, and you later install them again, you must be in 'online' mode to do that.

Now, since you can save games to different locations, the backup option isn't really needed, unless, as was mentioned, you have a slow connect, or idiotic caps.

JimPhreak

Dec 31, 2012
The only thing I do is use GameSave Manager to save my game saves so that if I do have to re-download my steam games I can keep all my game saves.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
It'll save you a few hundred Gigabytes of downloads in the future, so not that bad an idea. Just stick a second hard drive on your computer and copy it over.

Otherwise, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

iTunes is pretty nazi-ish when it comes to not allowing you to re-download purchases, but even they let you download stuff again with enough pleaing.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I back up game saves but not games.

Even with Steam Cloud, game saves can be corrupted by bugs. If you've put 30 hours into (game x), find where the saves folder is and copy it to a different hard drive or flash key.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
You can just as easily copy the game's folder unless it's a valve game. When you copy the game's folder back and run the install, it will first check the install location for files.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
External hard drives are cheap. Backing them up isn't required but it can save you a ton of time with reinstallation down the road. Also, if you're in a region where download caps might be an issue keeping backup copies can be a big deal.

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
I do because of stupid bandwidth limits by my ISP. Its super easy to do at least. Steam has done a great job of making it easy to backup/restore games.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Even without bandwidth caps and a fast Internet connection, nothing beats installing from a local hard drive. This especially matters if you are installing games to an SSD which makes it easy to run out if space.