Should workers be forced to give unions political donations for the right to vote?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Not really in California in order to remove this protection you need:

1. A majority vote in the legislation.
2. The governor approval
3. A majority vote of the people to sign off on it.

So no it isn't easy to remove in the states.

California is just 1 state. There are 49 others. Read the article.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
California is just 1 state. There are 49 others. Read the article.

State Level civil service protection are also protected by the 14th Amendment. The courts have ruled that state and local employees cannot be fired without due process and hearing from independent panel. This right can never be removed.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Contributing to the union for collective bargaining is fine. But why should I be forced to give $500 to the Union PAC in order to vote on my own employment contract.

I thought you were all for unions? Isn't this type of crap common place in unions, after all?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
See DCal's most recent post. It *is* part of normal dues, not something extra.

In California public employee unions are required to give political contributions to unions often in the hundreds of dollars a year, my union requires a $400 to $600 a year political contribution in order to vote on strikes, wages, working conditions, and other benefits. If I refuse to give the union political money the law denies me any say in my own benefits. Some unions are nicer and require "only" $60 to $100 a year in political contributions.

I am sorry, this was for P&N. I made a mistake. :(

Buried in the dues for a separate purpose.

My comment was based on his OP.

A turd is still a turd; no matter what you wrap it in and spray it with.
The union is preventing him from normal union related activities beacase he refuses to generate political payoffs to the union.